Craftsman Lathe Build Dates ?

cbtrek

Active User
Registered
I have a Craftsman 101.2140 Lathe, Serial # 001611 and would like to know when it was built.

The Manual, part #610572, no date.

The GREEN Lathe Bulletin T106L-1 dated June, 1945 / other side, Lathe Bulletin T6L-2 dated March 1957

The BLUE Lathe Bulletin T106L-2 dated July, 1945

All was in a Blue / Green envelope

Anybody have a source?

Thanks,
Craig

Craig,

I think that you mean 101.21400. This is the Timken bearing Atlas 618 and appeared in the Sears catalogs from 1957 through 1972. The Bulletins are Atlas numbers and for the most part apply to this model and to the earlier sleeve bearing Sears model 101.07301 made from about 1939 to 1956. The Timken and sleeve bearing versions differ only in some of the headstock parts.

Absent the original sales paperwork, the only way to fairly accurately date the Timken bearing model is to pull the spindle and read the acceptance date engraved in the bearings. The lathe will have been assembled within a few months of the later of the two dates.

Robert D.

Sorry it took so long to respond but I could not find another web page that I found with a little data that may help or not.

A new unused 101.21400, Serial # 000198 with the original shipping box with a date of 8/17/71. The label on the box is from the Clausing Corporation to Sears.

http://www.flywheelmachinetools.com/MAINMACHINEPAGE.html

There should be something on the different Craftsman label.

Looks like I would have to take the spindle out to find out, but not until there is a problem.

Craig,

I went through all of the serial number and date databases I've come across and did not find a single valid date for a 101.21400. Sorry. However, based on only the two points and the known catalog dates (years), I would guess that yours was probably made in 1957. I don't blame you for not wanting to pull the spindle just to see the dates!

The 101.21400 and Atlas 618 serial numbers don't have any relation. Atlas made three (or possibly four) major variants of the 6". The Timken bearing 612 and 618 with 1"-10 spindle nose were made as early as 1937 (earliest Atlas catalog that I've come across) and as late as about 1972. But Sears didn't start selling them until 1957. The Craftsman model 101.07300 appeared first (and only) in the 1938 catalog. It had split bronze sleeve bearings and a 3/4"-16 spindle nose with 3/8" diameter through hole. In the 1939 catalog, the 101.07301 with a redesigned headstock and larger spindle with 1"-8 nose and 17/32" dia. through hole appeared. It also had bronze sleeve bearings. Sears sold this model until 1956, after which they sold the 101.21400 (same as 618) and the serial numbers started over.

The serial number of the new 101.21400 you found listed for sale is not 198. The seller showed it as 0198## so he means it is 019800 to 019899. I don't know why people do this but it's common on vintage vehicles and high end (meaning expensive when made and expensive today) radios. A lot of people don't want to put the actual serial number up in print, either hard copy or internet. So they replace the last two or three digits with some other symbol.

Robert D.

Thank You for your data.

I knew what the seller told me was wrong, he was going by some of the old 1945 paperwork he had with the lathe. His dad bought it new but the Craftsman badge was not correct.

Carftsman Updated 2-.jpg

Cbtrek, where do you get those belts that you are using.. or perhaps better what are they? I have an Atlas 618.. not craftsman that I purchased years ago from the original owner. He dated the inside of the manul 1949.. I think the vertical belt going from the motor to the jackshaft is original and in bad need of replacement. It is not the correct belt for the pulley grooves but if I can't get a belt the right length and fit I may have to adjust the motor...which I would rather not do.

Thank you

David

I got mine at McMaster Carr, I added the link below. Other places also sell them but I get parts shipped UPS ground in one to two days and they offer a bigger range of widths. They work great cutting the belt sound and they are very easy to install with out having to take your machine apart. You can never get the wrong length, you can add or remove links until correct. They come in 5 different widths to fit your needs. I used 3/8' for my lathe and 1/2" for my drill press. You will need needle nose pliers to help pull the tab through to lock the tab. I cut a good belt off so I could install then. They cost more then belts but they are worth it!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/1042/=lpzskj

Adjustable-Length Round Belting

Install or replace belts in just seconds without taking your drive components apart.Simply use this belting, which allows you to add or remove links with a quick twist of the wrist.Belting is made of urethane elastomer that's reinforced with polyester fabric. You can use it to replace urethane, rubber, and leather round belts. Color is red.To Order: Please specify length up to a maximum length of 25 ft.

[

Are you saying that it's actually an Atlas, not a Craftsman?

Robert D.

Thank You for your data.

I knew what the seller told me was wrong, he was going by some of the old 1945 paperwork he had with the lathe. His dad bought it new but the Craftsman badge was not correct.

It is a Craftsman made by Atlas. By the Craftsman logo design (1st Photo), I knew it was not what he told me, 1946.

The 2nd photo is from my restored 109 lathe (I know for sure) this logo was still being used on the 1949 craftsman equipment, I have the tool catalog. I have a 1959 catalog coming next week.

Newer Logo.jpg Old Logo.jpg

OK. You meant that you knew that the Craftsman lable was wrong for the mid to late 40's.

You will find the 101.21400 in the 1959 Power Tools catalog. There wasn't a 1958 Power Tools catalog but I managed to acquire copies of the lathe pages out of the Fall 1957 and Spring and Fall 1958 Big Books. The last catalog appearance of the 101.07301 is in the 1957 Power Tools catalog. The first appearance of the 101.21400 is in the Fall 1957 Big Book. Serial Number 0198xx was apparently sold in 1971. If we assume a fairly uniform sales rate over the 14 years from 1957 to 1971, Serial Number 001611 would have been made at a guess mid 1958. If sales tapered off in the last years, that would push it back to early 1958 if sales started off good instead of slowly ramping up.

With the exceptions of 1965, I have scans (or originals) of either the Power Tools catalogs or the lathe pages out of the Big Books from 1931 through 1982. And I already know that the Atlas lathes were not listed in the Big Books in 1979, 1980 or 1981. Wish that I could find some more Atlas catalogs. Only have about six over the same period.

Robert D.

Last edited:
Back