Craftsman power hacksaw question

Grandtools

Active User
Registered
I just picked up one of those Craftsman hacksaws. It's in real nice shape except for the feed ratchet block. Good ol Sears parts does have it available, and it's only $180. So, since that's about 4 times what I paid for the whole saw, I'm looking for a better source. Has anyone ever replaced one and if so, where did you find it?

Is that the aluminum step block that is used to raise the blade on the return stroke? If so I need one too. If you find a decent price somewhere I would also be interested.

Paul

Is that the aluminum step block that is used to raise the blade on the return stroke? If so I need one too. If you find a decent price somewhere I would also be interested.

Paul

Well, it is the toothed block that relieves the saw on return stroke, but it's not aluminum, It's hardened steel. If yours is aluminum, I can see why you would need one.

Is it an Atlas machine sold under Craftsman? If so, you can contact Clausing, and they might have the part. I've noticed they're not as expensive as Sears for spare parts.

Terry

Is it an Atlas machine sold under Craftsman? If so, you can contact Clausing, and they might have the part. I've noticed they're not as expensive as Sears for spare parts.

Terry

Yes it was made by Excel,, which was part of Covel, and was also later sold as an Atlas 4350 hacksaw. I figured they might have it, but probably still too expensive. I did send Clausing an e-mail, let's see if I get a response.

I just picked up one of those Craftsman hacksaws. It's in real nice shape except for the feed ratchet block. Good ol Sears parts does have it available, and it's only $180. So, since that's about 4 times what I paid for the whole saw, I'm looking for a better source. Has anyone ever replaced one and if so, where did you find it?

I recall my dad having to buy that same block from Sears around 1980. I think the block cost about $80 then.

Well, it is the toothed block that relieves the saw on return stroke, but it's not aluminum, It's hardened steel. If yours is aluminum, I can see why you would need one.

Yup, hardened steel for sure!

Yes it was made by Excel,, which was part of Covel, and was also later sold as an Atlas 4350 hacksaw. I figured they might have it, but probably still too expensive. I did send Clausing an e-mail, let's see if I get a response.

I will be interested in hearing what you are told.

Yes it is stainless, my bad. Mine may be still useable, but has a wear hole on one side at the top. This may be the reason the weight was removed.

I once had a real old power hack saw with a large flywheel. I don't remember it lifting on the return stroke. Is this something that some saws do not have?

Yes it is stainless, my bad. Mine may be still useable, but has a wear hole on one side at the top. This may be the reason the weight was removed.

I once had a real old power hack saw with a large flywheel. I don't remember it lifting on the return stroke. Is this something that some saws do not have?

Any decent hacksaw has a relief mechanism. The small Kellers don't and some very ancient ones may not. A lot of newer saws used hydraulic relief. One reason I admire those little Craftsman saws is that they have that feature. My Dad & I bought one new from Clausing in the 70's, I think it cost $59 then. Unfortunately we sold it to get a bigger bandsaw.

Well, got the bad news from Clausing. Part is no longer available, but they did send me a print. Quite a challenge to make. It has .050" ratchet teeth cut on a 6-13/16" radius, then case hardened. Maybe I'll get ambitious over the winter and try to make one.

Well, got the bad news from Clausing. Part is no longer available, but they did send me a print. Quite a challenge to make. It has .050" ratchet teeth cut on a 6-13/16" radius, then case hardened. Maybe I'll get ambitious over the winter and try to make one.

I am sorry to hear that. I recall when dad bought that part from Sears for his saw there were vey few left there at that time.

Back