Craftsman Power Hacksaw Refurbish

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought an old Craftsman powered hacksaw off a craigslist ad the other day...

20210423_125253.jpg

20210423_125303.jpg

20210423_125320.jpg

It was very dirty, but seems to be complete except for the swivel part of the moveable vise jaw is missing. I have disassembled it and checked everything and it seems to be in very good condition, with very little apparent wear in any of the shafts. I may find some wear when I get all of the old dried oil and varnish cleaned out... we'll see.

I soaked the base and most of the components in the cleaning tank overnight, then gave them a good scrubbing today...

20210427_165401.jpg

Most of the paint is intact and in pretty good condition, except for what is on the cast aluminum parts... it is flaking and peeling pretty bad.

I haven't completely disassembled the arm yet, I'm soaking it in the cleaning tank to remove the bulk of the crud so maybe I'll be able to find all of the fasteners that hold it together.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to repaint everything or not. I'd like to find a close match to the original color and just repaint the cast aluminum parts, but that is probably wishful thinking...

-Bear

They're a fascinating machine. Almost as captivating as a shaper. Mine is missing the moving portion of the vise, and the weight on the saw. That's one heavy chunk of cast you've got there.

When you get it back together, keep in mind that it cuts on the pull, not the push. Took me a while to figure out that the blade lifter works best that way.

I haven't managed to accomplish a lot on the hacksaw lately... I've been working dayshift training on a new Danobat grinder. After 18 years on nightshift, getting up at 4:00 am and working all day leaves me too tired to do much when I get home.

But, I have made a little progress... I've cleaned and painted the main body of the saw and the arm, and cleaned and reattached the Craftsman plate and the model number plate...

20210506_165142.jpg

20210506_165200.jpg

20210506_165217.jpg

It is turning out pretty good... I haven't found any excessive wear on anything. I was prepared to have to machine new bronze bushings, but they are smooth and fit well with practically no play.

I will have to machine a new moveable jaw for the vise. It was missing when I bought it... I have found pictures of what it should look like and I'll try to duplicate it closely enough to hopefully be functional, anyway.

IF I ever get time...

-Bear

Nice chunk of iron- I wonder if it was made by the AA company?
Like the Pinocchio motor too
-Mark

Nice chunk of iron- I wonder if it was made by the AA company?
Like the Pinocchio motor too
-Mark

The Craftsman power hacksaws were actually made by Covel... from what I've read, Covel was eventually bought out by Atlas, then acquired by Clausing...

-Bear

This afternoon I worked on the rotating assembly...

20210507_171603.jpg

I also finished cleaning the reciprocating arm... after it dries thoroughly, I will prep it for paint and throw some paint at it. Then I will assemble and re-install it... maybe next week.

I've been looking at the 12 inch Starrett blades on the internet... I will have to order one, but I have read that the new blades are longer than the original blades and won't fit these saws... can anyone verify that?

The blades are not what I would call cheap... I would hate to order several and discover that they won't work... but I think I could maybe modify either the blade or the saw so that I could use them.... maybe...

I guess I'll find out...

-Bear

No need for a special blade....a 12" hand hacksaw blade in 18 tooth works great.

I've been working on the hacksaw some lately... it's coming along pretty well.

20210511_125351.jpg

20210511_125436.jpg

I still have to paint the weight and install it, and I have a blade ordered. After I get a blade on it, I will have to do some adjusting on the arm lifting mechanism.

I haven't started thinking about the motor yet, it is missing the cover that goes over the capacitor... that could lead to a nasty shock, I think. I may have to try fabricating a cover, or just find a different motor.

-Bear

Back