Craftsman vise bidding is getting high.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
There's this beautiful craftsman vise, someone refinished it and made it look like a piece of art work. Bidding has gotten very high for a 3 1/2 inch vise.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
Now at 127.51, I wonder if I take a vise and scotchbrite it down and clear coat it if I can make a some good change.. Nah, not for the amount of work. She is purty though.

craftsman_vise.jpg

I have that model vise but it does not look like that! I need to clean mine up. Well, maybe

There's this beautiful craftsman vise, someone refinished it and made it look like a piece of art work. Bidding has gotten very high for a 3 1/2 inch vise.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Craftsman-Vise-Old-Pipe-Vice-Anvil-Steampunk-Machinist-Tool-Gunsmith/282760403162?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
Now at 127.51, I wonder if I take a vise and scotchbrite it down and clear coat it if I can make a some good change.. Nah, not for the amount of work. She is purty though.

View attachment 249217
I have that same p/n Craftsman vise in good original condition. It is made in Japan. About 45 years ago I found a rusted and broken old Craftsman vise in an empty field and took it in to Sears on a nice Saturday afternoon and asked for a warranty on it. The place was full of men shopping for tools. They quietly told me it was not under warranty. So I said in a loud voice "ARE YOU SAYING THIS CRAFTSMAN TOOL HAS NO WARRANTY?" Lots of heads turned in my direction. The clerk said he would ask the manager, and came back with that vise for me, new in the box. Of course I went to church and confessed my sin... 8^) I have been using it ever since, and often not gently. I have beat on it pretty hard. It is made of ductile iron and it is tough. It still looks close to new, no bent handle, no chips out of it, jaws still perfect, just worn red paint. A couple years ago I was looking for a bigger vise and found the big brother to that vise, a 5" jaw version of the same model, beat to death but not broken, not even damaged. I rehabbed it, milled the anvil portion, painted it Craftsman red, and it is now pretty and ready for the new workbench when I get a round 'tuit. The ones with that supplier number (391) series are damned nice vices. 391-5180 is the 3 1/2" one, 391-5181 is the 5" version.

I don't believe that vise is intended for any duty more strenuous than being displayed as a conversation piece. Sorta like art work. But, I could be wrong. I was once before. ;)

Tom

Some people have too much time (and too many scotch-brite wheels) on their hands.
My Dad had a Columbian vise like that- lasted a loooong time till the nut stripped. I remember buying a new nut for it. Apparently the nuts for those are no longer available from Sears :(
Mark

The vise does look too pretty to use. Nice job on the finish.

Looks like a Wilton Columbian vise sold under Craftsman name.

I have a 4 1/2in model 391.5186.

I have used the vise for years. It has given me good service, but I never liked the locking nut/handle.

I replaced the original hardware with a carriage bolt and a coupler nut.

Metal_vise_original_replacement_hardware_5884.jpg

I used a coupler nut to get the height so I could tighten this with a wrench.

Metal_vise_new_lock_nut_5886.jpg

Spit and polish my boy, remember what PT Barnum use to say.. THERES A SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE. And then a fool and his money will soon be departed . Gotta love nice tools , but really a cheap vise with a bit of polish .

I wonder what I'd get for a Parker if I buffed it out.

Nice vice, but, I like my 6” Wilton bullet better, that’s mounted on a 24’ long work bench with a tabletop of (3) 4X12’s:).

Back