Craftsman...what flavor?

kopeck

Registered
Registered
So this guy just showed up somewhat close to me:

34686101_1936364386387727_2491964880114941952_n.jpg

34744319_1936364423054390_7418070147019046912_n.jpg

It looks to me like one of the 9/10 - 12 versions I can't nail down which one though? Looking at pictures I can't quite find one exactly like it. It looks to me like a babbitt bearing head stock which would make it a earlier unit but it also has the belt guards so not to early. The belt guard also looks different than most pictures I'm finding.

The thing that caught my eye is it's pretty well equipped. In the picture I see:

3 jaw chuck
4 jaw chuck
Faceplate w/dog
Steady rest
Milling attachement
Set of change gears

I have asked if the tag is still on it but I haven't heard back.

I told my self when it came time to upgrade the Craftsman 6" I wanted to make a decent jump, just not a small one. By that I mean power cross feed (which I don't see that this unit has) and a quick change gear box. What makes me interested in this guy though is the fact that it comes with a steady rest which I would love on my 6" but can't justify the cost and a the milling attachment, which is the same deal as the steady rest.

The price is reasonable, I could probably double my money if I wanted to part it out but I really don't want to get into that.

Ugh...

K

It's a 12" and it does have power cross feed but I would hold out for one with the roller bearing headstock

It's a 12" and it does have power cross feed but I would hold out for one with the roller bearing headstock

It does?

Looking closer, is it the handle/button below the half nut lever?

The babbitt bearings were the other thing that bothered me a bit. I think it if had rollers it would be a slam dunk.

K

Ooops the picture is misleading- it doesn't have power cross. My mistake

Ooops the picture is misleading- it doesn't have power cross. My mistake

I thought so. :)

I wish the lathe a little bit newer/better. It's not what I want but it's also tempting considering the gear it comes with and the price is reasonable. I also just got my 6" in working shape...

K

I would check the play in the head bearings/bushings with a test bar and an indicator so you know how much slop there is- could be quite a lot
on the other hand, it might be worth buying just for the parts alone

I suppose it doesn't hurt to look. The lady did get back to be and said she would try and get me the model number.

I wonder if you could convert it to a timken head? The gears and the cone pulley all look to be the same. Housings and spindles look like they're readily available. Then again it doesn't really stay a deal if you have to throw a bunch of money at it either and I wouldn't have a power cross slide.

K

It isn't a 9" for many reasons, the first of which is that the 9" has no belt cover because it has a vertical countershaft with three belts running straight up out of the spindle. It's a 12", not a 10" as it has tumbler reverse instead of a reversing gearbox at the left end of the lead screw. The only two 10" with a tumbler both have a QCGB. And the Craftsman badge is visible on the front of the headstock plus the belt tension rod is visible above the left end of the headstock. It has babbit spindle bearings as the bearing caps and bolts are visible. So it isn't one of the 101.0740x models. It is either a 101.07363 or 101.07383 and not earler because it has a rectangular motor switch plate, which didn't appear until late 1941 or early 1942. I think that I can just see the back gear lever's knob in the second photo, which would mean that it is a 101.07383. If that isn't the knob and if it doesn't have back gears, then it would be a 101.07363. But the number of 07363's sold was small compared to the number of 07383's so it's most likely a 101.07383.

It is possible to convert a 101.07383 to a 101.07403 but you would just about have to find an otherwise good 101.07403 with a bad bed and no legs and tailstock in order to do it with the fewest parts left over. You would still have two sets of back gears and spindle pulleys. In short, no longer a bargain.

Why the concern over babbit bearings? I have one Timken head and one babbit head, and it might surprise you that the Timken head lives in my spares cabinet. If the babbit bearings are in good shape, kept oiled, and are adjusted correctly, they run very true. 82 years of service and going strong. Just sayin'.

Back