Craftsmen 101 tailstock ram lock

On 2 of my 618's the inserts/ sleeves/ locks, what ever yoiu want to call them, were corroded in place, and needed a punch (From the bottom IIRC), to get them out. Then I just made new ones from aluminum rod.

On 2 of my 618's the inserts/ sleeves/ locks, what ever you want to call them, were corroded in place, and needed a punch (From the bottom IIRC), to get them out. Then I just made new ones from aluminum rod.
Superburban, thanks for your reply. What did you use to punch out from the bottom, since the hole is inside the cavity of the tailstock? There isn’t a straight shot to punch up into the hole.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I just used a punch, but maybe I pulled the bolt out the top. Its been over 15 years, I know what came out was useless, except for measuring. I'm thinking I reused the original bolts. If there is no hole from the bottom, Maybe, try a socket and a nut, like a puller. Sorry I do not remember better. I do know it was destroyed, and the bore needed cleaning the residue.

I'm thinking I just used a punch, but maybe I pulled the bolt out the top. Its been over 15 years, I know what came out was useless, except for measuring. I'm thinking I reused the original bolts. If there is no hole from the bottom, Maybe, try a socket and a nut, like a puller. Sorry I do not remember better. I do know it was destroyed, and the bore needed cleaning the residue.
Thanks again. I found a new lock and sleeve on ebay and ordered it. Iwas trying a punch but I knew it would destroy the one that's in there now.

Back