Craig's List Walker Turner DP

ee-lee

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I'm new to the forum but have been working with wood and metal working machines pretty much my entire adult life. Any way I picked up a Hardinge lathe and Walker Turner drill press from a Craig's List add yesterday. I originally thought the drill press was a 900 series but now am pretty much convinced it is an 1100 series. Measuring from the center of the chuck back to the. Column it measures 10" which would seem to indicate a 20" drill press I believe. It also has a 1 HP motor. Does anyone know where the model number might be located?

It has a motor arrangement that I haven't seen before, I'm thinking it was a retro fit at some point.

I paid $200 for the two machines so, both work and have no major issues, although I have seen cleaner examples of both. At any rate has anyone seen a WT drill press setup like this before?

DSC_0157.JPG

DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0151.JPG

That drill press will probably work out just fine and will also clean up if you want to put the effort into it. How about a couple pics of the Hardinge?

The WT looks pretty good., but damn, is there a table on an old DP without drill marks? :)

Yeah the holes were a little disappointing but that's why God made welders. Since God made welders I feel obligated to own a variety of them. When I clean up the drill press repairing the holes is on the list. In the end I paid $50.00 for the drill and $150 for the lathe so I can live with a few holes in the table for now.

I suspect that was a retrofit also. Looks like it gives about a 50% speed reduction which might be a good thing. For $200 you did very, very well!

Nice score you have there. Rather than weld it up, I'd be tempted cut a piece of 1/2" plate to match the existing table and drill an tap into. You could also set it up as a mounting system, vice, t-slots, etc.. Mike

Do you have the typical bench grinder with the little piles of grinding leftovers behind it?

Scrape them up and clean them on some acetone and use a magnet to get the steel ones out of the stone residue.

Next scrip and wire wheel clean the divots and non through holes in the table.

Fell holes with the cleaned grindings.

Mix some heavy duty epoxy and thin it with denatured alcohol or acetone...test first to see which is better.

Pour the thinned epoxy into the hole and stir it with a tooth pick and add epoxy and grindings until just proud of the table.

Let harden a day or 3 then use a file or other tool of choice to level it off.

Did this with a few spots in the bp 10 years ago and still holding fine.

For round through holes drill and tap for plugs then make plugs from bolts and follow up with above thinned epoxy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

wow---$200 for the pair sounds like there are super bargains in your area--the lathe compound alone is worth $800, and you got a collet closer also---thanks for showing your bargains and quick thinking----welding the press table sounds like a breeze for you to make it look and work like new-----Dave

Back