Craigslist Haul

TomKro

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
A week ago I was surfing Craigslist and there was a 2 hour old post for a South Bend 9" for all of $100, so I answered the add. The fellow was trying to clear a shop area from a relative's house in order to sell the place. He just wanted things gone and was happy to have me carry out just about anything I wanted.

Included with the lathe was a 3 jaw chuck, 4 jaw chuck, face plate, steady rest, and boxes of tooling. It was like Christmas in August. Here's the goodies on the trailer. The tail stock already made it to the basement.

SB Goodies on Trailer.jpg

Here's the tag on the cover: I think that's Cat No. 61-AB under the dirt.

SB Cat No 61-AB.jpg

It looks like the motor drive is some sort of home fab, but a very nice job.

I'm having trouble finding a manual for this lathe. Anybody know where I can get one?

The SN is 28467. Does anyone know how old this iron might be?

No idea when I'm going to have a chance to play with the toys, but still smiling from the sweet deal.

TomKro

Talking to the guy down in Gaithersburg last night about not finding equipment . I told him he 's looking in the wrong places . Great find ! :encourage:

Good to see another Hazzard County resident on here btw . :)

Yes Virginia, I guess there really is a Santa Claus....

-frank

I forgot to mention. The homeowner wanted the bench gone also.
I took a day off and went down to disassemble the bench. Super solid cast iron legs.
There were three, but I think two will do just fine.

Bench Legs.jpg

Time to pick up some hockey pucks and make a few big solid adjustable feet.

TomKro

I went thru the tooling and thought I'd share an image of some of the nicer goodies.

ToolsOnTable_labelled_resized.png

A: A bunch of nice scrapers, including a one piece cast screwdriver. There's an ice pick with a cast handle labeled "City Ice Co." from down in Baltimore. Next to that is what looks to be the first utility knife set ever made. The original owner kept everything very sharp.
B: An adjustable boring head that needs some TLC. It moved OK after it was oiled.
C. A very nice little mini-chuck.
D: I got a real kick out of the mini oil can.
E: Some sort of adjustable marking device? The pointed end moves with the dial. Not sure what it's used for.
F: A very nice compass.
G. This one had me stumped for a bit. Spring loaded clamshells with a round stone inside. It was labeled as a skate sharpener.
H: A number of measuring tools. One of the 2" mics is well used, but the one to the left is in really nice shape.
I: This block of metal looks like some sort of stamping die. It's shaped like the back of a spoon handle, and says "Sterling", but it only looks like part of a utensil. Not sure what it might have been.
J: A couple of layout tools that also need a little TLC. All the bases have pins that look like they're ground to be flush with the base. On some bases the pins slide, on others they turn. Is there anyone schooled in layout work that can tell me what the pins are for?

Kind of a neat stash of old tools. Still to clean 'em up and put them to good use.

TomKro

Back