Cratex sticks 101

petertha

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This may sound daft but I bought a couple Cratex sticks 1 x 0.25 x 3" medium and fine & kind of perplexed by them now that they are here. I visualized something a bit more flexible durometer, maybe more like an eraser but they are quite hard. I tried de-burring some metal edges or just rubbing them across stock of different alloys to see the effect. They seem rather 'muted' like it would require a whole lot of rubbing to get anything out of them. I have similar generic products but cylindrical shape for rotary tooling. They work really well, but they are also spinning at 10K or whatever & even that is quite controlled.

So what am I missing here? Where would you use these over say scuff pads or foam backed abrasive paper or whatever? They weren't exactly cheap. Also (maybe I can post a pic) it seems like the abrasive embedded layer is only on one side? (as opposed to a solid chunk of abrasive). How would one re-condition the face or is the whole idea they are supposed to degrade, expose new abrasive & not load up like stones?

Dress it off with a belt sander. I use the cylindrical sticks to polish bolt faces, and when they get loaded up I just touch them on my belt sander for a fresh surface.

Back