Crazy DIY surface grinder idea?

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ever seen anybody fashion a DIY "surface grinder" attachment for the back end of the Bridgeport RAM?

In a simplistic sense, sort of like hanging a bench grinder upside down from the attachment point.

For just the occasional use of course.

Probably wouldn't be quite as accurate as a dedicated surface grinder, but with a tenth reading DRO on the knee, you might get pretty close.
Another thing is the X axis travel, it would be a PITA to hand crank it back and forth, maybe power drive on a higher speed could suffice...
Sounds like an interesting project!

I use the horizontal spindle of my mill (not a bridgeport) for occasional surface grinder duty. But my table has a fast travel arrangement on the x feed so I think it may of been intended to do dual duty (the x-axis lead screw doesn't have a nut but runs on a normally locked worm wheel, by unlocking and rotating the worm wheel but you get a fast travel). Would be tedious if you had to crank both the X and Y axis handles.

Horizontal spindle with a grinding wheel on
IMG_1839.JPG

X-axis lead screw and worm wheel
IMG_1845.JPG

OP here.

I have a power feed on the X-travel.

I wouldn't need 10's of accuracy for the occasional "shaving" of hard surfaces, I think the knee control would provide adequate resolution for what I have in mind.

For the accuracy you describe just make an adapter to hold a belt sander.

it wouldn't be healthy for the machine. surface grinders make a mess

Agree with cg285 why destroy your mill with all that grit and swarf? best look for an old cutter grinder or surface grinder.

http://petersonwashandblast.com/catalog/rg-1234-platen-grinder/
of course this is overkill but something on a smaller scale, homemade or whatever would probably fit what i think you are suggesting you need.

i have one of the above and it works great for exhaust manifolds, cylinder heads or anything you want ground flat. it does not replace a surface grinder tho'

You could make way covers to keep the grit out.

Back