Crazy DIY surface grinder idea?

That is awesome C-Bag. I have been thinking about (and bidding on at some auctions) a surface grinder but having a hard time justifying the precious floor space that it would take up. For the very occasional use, I could see doing something like that. The caveat would be how to control/capture the grinding dust.

My TAS (tool aqusision syndrom) got peeked by a couple of deals on the local CL by very affordable surface grinders. So luckily I started following threads on them. I think it would be wonderful to have a well functioning one, at the prices I want to pay I think I'd be buying another major project. Which I'm too busy already and too many projects behind to tackle another. So I waffle.

With my mill/drill that setup wouldn't work because you need a knee. I also don't want to subject my already worn mill/drill or my shop to that kind of abrasive.

Personally I think I wouldn't be that happy with "good enough" knowing what a good surface grinder can kick out.

If you look on the same site there are several homemade surface grinders. One guy named JR made a pretty good one out of a bench grinder, some pipe and an old XY table he had lying around.

You know I'd been thinking I needed a SG, but after seeing the finish you can get with a shapper I'm moving it to the top of the acquisition list. Can't think of too many things that I would need to get to a few tenths. The shaper is a pretty versatile machine, no dust to deal with, and then there's the music. Mike

I agree FOMOGO. If I'd not bumbled onto my shaper, I'd have gotten a SG for sure. But the shaper has its challenges too. Most are old. Mine I'm pretty sure is from the '40's. So there are wear issues and just the various shortcomings like a small machine like the 7b was probably meant to be a hobby machine. So it's not as heavy duty and heaven help you if you need parts! But once I got most of the bugs out not only does it produce a nice finish, it's mighty accurate flat wise. The other thing that's appealing is not only is it quieter, no dust, cheap to operate, it's also safer. After seeing one of those shows about cosmetic surgery where an auto body guy had a bench grinder stone explode on him and literally shatter his skull I'm doubly wary of any grinder. It's also part of my waffling problem :)

Back