[4]

"Crescent" wrench complaint

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have seen it mentioned in several books, adjustable wrenches should be always turned towards the movable jaw, as shown in the video. The reasoning is the the movable jaw will be pushed down towards the body of the tool, thus giving it more support. To go the opposite way would lift the jaw away, introducing play and putting more force on weaker areas of the tool.
Thanks for that and the picture Eddy! I could make no sense of the first video that was posted.

My feeling towards these wrenches matches exactly an old saying I heard....."They fit every size bolt equally poorly!"
Of course I do have several, but only use them where appropriate.....not too tight and saving a walk to get a real wrench.

-brino

menace

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I’ve collected a few dozen since I was a kid from 4” to 36” and put them in my cars, trucks and heavy equipment and size them accordingly! They have bailed me out many times away from my shop so they have their emergency uses! I have a few favorites but I don’t have cheap brands which usually let me down at the worst times! I had a 4” version that opened up to 5/8 ,very rare one but some tool theif scummer stole it, Great tool to have around but it’s the first to disappear!

KBeitz

That's made to hook on your belt....

markba633csi

Platinum
Registered
I agree with Ed, I always thought pulling towards the movable jaw was the best way
Mark

RJSakowski

Two bits of conflicting information. Crescent has an arrow on the handle of their wrench which presumably indicates the direction of pull and Snap On says this:
1524069314212.png

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)

ukkarl

Registered
I have a set of Bahco adjustable 'spanners' that were given to me by my father 30+ years ago, they were given to him by his father way before that. 5", 8", 10" and 12" in the set I have
I use the 10" and smaller 5" version almost daily in my job. They still have no 'headache' in them at all

Doubleeboy

Active User
Registered
I carry a 10" crescent wrench in my tractor tool box. That and a pair of vise grips and a couple of screwdrivers have often saved me a walk back to the house for a "proper" wrench.
Agree completely. The small tool box on our big tractor has 2 sizes crescent wrenches a vise grip, 2 screw drivers and the exact size wrench for the shear bolt on rotary mower. Walking a half mile back to barn for a wrench gets old in a hurry. Best Crescent wrench I have is a 1971 12" that I bought new at Hardware store, Japan made True-test. It was expensive for an 18 year old kid.

KBeitz

The above post was a disaster... Let me try again... Is there not a way to delete a post?
I kept getting double pictures. The more I worked with it the more pictures I got. ???

Around 50 years ago I cut the handle off an 8" adjustable and made a pocket wrench out of it...

Pocket adajustable wrench.JPG

[5] [7]