"Crescent" wrench complaint

Craftsman makes a 10" adjustable wrench with a Vice Grip style tightening lever, you get a good grip and it lets go easy. I have one and use it occasionally. I have always steered apprentices away from using an adjustable wrench, the proper size is the safest, and using them makes you learn to recognize bolt head sizes.
I have one of the wrenches like you describe. The amount of tightening is fairly small but it does help. I tend to avoid the adjustable wrenches because the head does flex which can round the points on a stubborn nut or bolt head and because the head is physically larger than an open end wrench head. My preference for tough jobs is a six point box wrench or six point socket.

So you got me wondering. I just went through 6 tool boxes (various purposes) and came up with five 12", three 10", four 8", three 6", one 4", and out in the shed, I have one 16" or 18"?. I know that I must have at least 4 or 6 others in various tool boxes vehicle trunks probably 8".
Thats after 65+ years of collecting. Some were my dads, some my grandpa's, but most were from field work jobs where I was totally without tools and ended up buying stuff at the closest tool store. Most of mine are Crescent, but a couple of the 6"ers are Sears all older models made in the USA except one Sears Japanese, which I can't tell from the USA. They all have had a LOT of use some in horrible environments some only in lab or workshop clean environments.
Somehow, early in my youth (in my 30's?) I figured out which direction to use one. Never broke one but dropped a 12"er about 40 feet to a
hardrock surface and little damage.No heads were damaged. I've seen people break them, but either they were a h--- of a lot stronger than me or their choice of tools was from HF e.g. (i.e.?, I never can decide which of those to use) made in China.

A few good tests are worth lots of expert opinions. Let Mr. Pete sort it out... :eek 2:

Crescent wrench is a mechanics pliers. I have about a dozen or so. Up to 24" set real crescent brand. If you tighten them to tightly they do have that tendency built in. The trick is tighten them on the end then press down and pull or push with the moving jaw toward the direction you move it. I have a few that lock the jaw when set , they're hard to find but are the best. One set is made with a lock handle ,,vise grip,, style. They lock and stay on the hex wish I could get those in more sizes. I carry a 4" snap on one in my pocket it opens to a 9/16" head bolt. It's done more work out in the field along with my leatherman then I can remember. Use them right they work well.I should clarify I always use wrenches and sockets when able , there are times you need a adjustable wrench. My 24" one has saved lots of money on super large combo wrenches.

Last edited:
For heavy duty/tight bolts I have a full set of English and metric wrenches, but for light duty, my go to is a 6" crescent (made by the diamond caulk horseshoe company). It is much more convenient to grab than taking out a full set of wrenches and finding the right one.

That is a highly customized tool 4gsr ! Good for getting around to to the back side.

Back