CRIKEY!!!!Coral snake!

If you live in Tucson you know about cockroaches, when i stayed at my grandma's house you could heat them go clickity- clickity-clickity across the floor at night, freaked out my new wife the first time we visited.

Ok, cockroaches are at the top of my gross list. I can handle all sorts of critters both venomous or not, but those suckers give me the heebees.
Luckily, we are isolated from the city sewer system. When we lived in the city, I declared war every rainy season on these dudes. The city has gotten pretty good about fumigating the sewer system but I still gross out when I see one in the fire house. I remember back in 82 while underway in the Navy, we spent some time in Subic Bay Philippines (open sewers), now those suckers where huge! I probably never heard them scurry because I was heading the opposite way:eek:.

The Palo Verde Beetle is another creature that can make my skin crawl. These things get to 3.5"-4" and also visit during the monsoon season. Although harmless, they do sport some serious mandibles that can produce a painful bite. I remember several years ago responding to a fire, we where "dressing out" in the back of the rig when my partner began frantically stripping off his turnout coat. A large P V beetle had found its way into his gear and latched on to the back of his neck. It was funny as hell at the time. When they fly you can hear this wind being sliced.
If you leave the porch light on over night, you'll find ample P V beetles the next morning. We leave a set of lights on in our apparatus bay that always attracts them. Some photos for your viewing pleasure;) https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...DNfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=palo+verde+beatles&fr=aaplw

Back