Criterion boring head instructions

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I just received a Criterion S 1 1/2A boring head. It is used and came without instructions. It doesn't look to complicated, but I thought I'd ask rather than guess.

All "controls" are shown in the included photo.

Obviously the set screw near the tip is for holding a boring bar in place.

I assume the three set screws inline hold the head when tight, movement seems to be controlled by the dial moved by fingers? There doesn't seem to be a hex socket in there.

Is there a proper order to tighten / loosen the three hold down screws?

Any other info I should know before use? I still need to get a set of boring bars and make an adaptor to fit it to the mill's spindle so use is not imminent.

Boring head.jpg

I just got it today so haven't cleaned it up yet. It is possible that there is some crud hiding the hex socket. There is a hole in the center of the dial so makes sense that there is a socket down there somewhere.

They're all SHCS. I own two Criterions. I always take them apart, clean them with Purple Power and lubricate them.
Super Lube Synthetic grease is very good. I also replaced any worn SHCS and bearing balls. There should be one BB at the end
of each SHCS's. Make sure they're present.

Last edited:
Please see the attached pdf for how to adjust gib screws. Benmychree is right.

Attachments

• Criterion Machine Works - Info Sheet.pdf
    33.1 KB · Views: 135
Perfect, thank you.

Looks like it will be straight forward to take apart and clean up, but always nice to know what one is getting into before a spring launches across the room and into the clutches of the carpet monster. :)

Perfect, thank you.

Looks like it will be straight forward to take apart and clean up, but always nice to know what one is getting into before a spring launches across the room and into the clutches of the carpet monster. :)
These boring heads are about as simple as simple gets, a good thing! I have a couple that are just the opposite, a Chandler Duplex, which faces and recesses, and "Precision Universal" boring head that does the same things with a more limited travel, but is adjustable for size while rotating; It has nearly a billion tiny ball bearings inside that go in all directions when disassembled.

Back