Criterion boring head woes

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I was cleaning my new-to-me Criterion boring head and I discovered that two of the three gib screws were completely mangled. I managed to extract one by tapping a hex wrench into the head of the screw.
The other I had to drill out and use a Proto screw extractor to remove.
Now I need two replacements and two tiny ball bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David, my Criterion boring head was missing a single ball bearing, I was told it was crucial to the proper function of the tool so I started looking online to order a small package (of 4mm I think, or 0.160" can't remember the exact size) precision balls, little did I know that a local ball bearing supply store had all sizes available, that's your best bet, don't bother looking at Chinese made stuff and wait 2 months to receive them, buy them locally, I think I paid under$10 for a package of 50 . if you were close I would gladly drop off a few to you.

David, my Criterion boring head was missing a single ball bearing, I was told it was crucial to the proper function of the tool so I started looking online to order a small package (of 4mm I think, or 0.160" can't remember the exact size) precision balls, little did I know that a local ball bearing supply store had all sizes available, that's your best bet, don't bother looking at Chinese made stuff and wait 2 months to receive them, buy them locally, I think I paid under$10 for a package of 50 . if you were close I would gladly drop off a few to you.

Thanks Ken, that’s a good tip.
I’ll measure the bearing and the set screw and try to find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have destroyed some ball bearings and saved the balls to get the bearings. I have a little
drawer with an assortment in there, surprising how often I need a little ball for something.

Bicycle repair shops usually have a supply of bearings and might have the size you need. They wouldn't take my money so I put a couple of bucks in their coffee fund!

Craig

Good idea @WCraig
@cathead I have a small collection also, I'll check to see if I have any that will fit.
Need to find two of the silly little set screws too.

Back