Critique my flycutting results

I have no real way of regrinding carbide anyways, but will try with what I have. When I bought my lathe, while it's a bit of an ancient thing, it did come with a pile of tooling and accessories (like 70-80 hss/carbide toolbits).

The fly cutter was the only R-8 shank available from KBC, and it's definitely too big, haha. The harmonic vibration kicks in around 300-400rpm and is rather violent. Below that, runs nice and smooth. Around 1500rpm it gets smooth again, lol. I wonder if I can turn it down on the lathe...

Thanks MrWhoopee, will keep that in mind for future purchases. Don't have any R8 collets at the moment, but looks like a 1/2" R8 collet & 3/4" or 1 1/8" body fly cutter only adds up to ~$30. I'm happy with the finish even in this state, a lot of what I'm making for the time being will be simple stuff like clamps. Once I get into stuff I want to make pretty, will pull the trigger.

I should also do a test on some aluminum...have yet to really cut anything Al on the mill yet. Figured steel was a better practice medium, enforce good habits and whatnot. :)

Just wanted to say thanks again - did my first attempt of fly cutting aluminum last night, turned out beautiful! (well, to me :) ) Exact same tool I used for steel, slightly faster speeds, and dang I could feed way faster. (the weird coloured bands are due to fluorescent lights and the camera phone)

2018-04-18 20.53.20 HDR.jpg

2018-04-18 20.53.46 HDR.jpg

2018-04-18 20.54.06.jpg

Back