Critter nests

when I still lived on an acerage, I was plowing on the back 3 acres when all the sudden smoke started billowing out of my brake access hole on the axle of my john deere B--I got off and ran like crazy up to get some water to put out the smoldering fire--well it was a big mouse nest that got hot enough to catch fire--I learned from that what mice do---so I would try and plug small holes. don't ever think that it takes them a long time to do their nest and store nuts and seeds--they are very fast---well I swapped motors in my pickup and got everything done except to put the distributer back in before I went to work that evening---when I was at work I was bothered that I forgot to plug that hole---the next morning I decided to put the dist. back in and thought about the open hole that I couldn't see in---I bent a little hook on a hanger wire and reached down to feel if ther was any problems--when I brought it out there was some nesting material that I pulled up on the hook--well I had to get under and take the pan off to find a wad of nest about the size of a quart jar.--I could just imagine what a mess it would have been to put oil in and start the motor without finding the nest---That is just how fast they are to find a new home spot and get it built!!----well I now live in the city and still have that problem in my shops--but now the little red squirrels are more my enemy since moving here---I cleaned about a half barrel of walnuts out of the upper attic area, and noticed that the lights would sometimes work and sometimes not--well I opened up the wall around the switch and found where the red squirrel had chewed the wires till they were bare---I had to pull all the lighting wires out and found the new wiring was all chewed for the coatings for his nest---even the bare copper wires had been chewed almost in half.--so much for all the new wiring the previous owner had just put in.---CRITTER NESTS was a perfect title for this thread --thanks for starting it-----Dave :phew:

You don't even want to get me started about squirrels. I've a got hole in the wall of the garage where one chewed their way in.

DSCF2157.JPG

Squirrels like all rodents have to chew all the time to keep their teeth from growing too long. This weekend when it cools downs some I might go out and take some pictures of all the damage they've done to my deer stands. While I'm at it I'll likely shoot a few squirrels because they are tasty in gravy.

DSCF2157.JPG

I do not know of the truth in a story I once heard, That the common rat can chew through lead pipe, & flood a building I know some folks who have a store of machinery, & the place is disgusting with rat droppings There is a chasm of difference between the wild rat & the little tame rats some folks have as a pet, they are rather cute, But the wild ones are not too be meddled with I once was bitten by a wild rat, It was a deep sore bite
Many years ago, I arrested a man, & when I snapped the handcuffs on him he bit me, It was a dirtier bite than the rat bite & needed hospital follow up.

I believe that story about a rat chewing through lead, that is not the first time I have heard of that happening. I heard the same thing decades ago when I worked in a plumbing shop. I also had a man once tell me that a rat popped up right out of the water in his basement toilet! That was not just a tale either. The reason I heard the story was the man was wanting me to suggest some kind of hardware that would keep the lid to his toilet down with pressure. As the story kept unfolding the truth came out. The guy was embarrassed to share the story actually.

Who would ever use that toilet again after something like that happening I ask you?? :nuts:

I do not know of the truth in a story I once heard, That the common rat can chew through lead pipe, & flood a building I know some folks who have a store of machinery, & the place is disgusting with rat droppings There is a chasm of difference between the wild rat & the little tame rats some folks have as a pet, they are rather cute, But the wild ones are not too be meddled with I once was bitten by a wild rat, It was a deep sore bite
Many years ago, I arrested a man, & when I snapped the handcuffs on him he bit me, It was a dirtier bite than the rat bite & needed hospital follow up.

I put this deer stand up in August. Squirrels chewed the outer cover off the seat to get to the foam cushion.

DSCF2165.JPG

I had a stand last year they chewed a hole in the cover and made a nest inside the seat back. What a surprise that was when I climbed into it, started to sit down and the seat started jumping around until out popped a big red squirrel.

DSCF2165.JPG

A few years ago I read where mice don't like the smell of Bounce dryer sheets, so I'm thinking somebody from Bounce came up with this but I tried it anyway and now my shop stays mouse free but loaded with Bounce dryer sheets.

This problem can be lethal. My foreman lost a cousin. They thought it was something that he contacted in his welding job. Eventually they ran it down to Hanta virus. Mouse droppings are dangerous. A good idea to wear some sort of dust mask when cleaning up.

When my Dad farmed in Northern Idaho we had pack rats get in the shop every winter. They acted like crows as they would pack off small shiny things. Small wrenches, sockets etc. Dad would send me after the .22 and we would have fun for a little while. Empty pipes, boxes, dark corners, you could find tools anywhere. At least I didn't get yelled at when he could not find something!:yikes:

When I was still a firefighter we had some issues with mice and rats. They would chew out the insulation from our fire jackets and trousers to line their nests. Once the membrane is damaged in a turn-out set, you have to throw the item away as the steam can penetrate through it and cook your skin underneath.

We also had issues with barn swallows that would fly in and sit up in the rafters, an ideal spot to poop into our breathing apparatus masks.

Paul.

About 10 years back my twins ( 14 at the time) and I got a an old 70's vintage Suzuki TS 250 enduro. We messed around trying to get it started for a while. Finally after cleaning up the plug an spraying oil in the cylinder we hit it with a good sniff of either it ripped to life and shot a mouse nest with babies out the exhaust into the back wall. good times

Bob

Back