Cross feed screw appears to be bent 12x36 lathe

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
In the process of making my homemade taper attachment I have discovered that the cross feed screw appears to be bent. The end of the screw has a fair amount of wiggle to it. Is this normal? I have not been able to remove the screw yet. It looks like I need a spanner wrench which I don't have. In lieu of a spanner what could I used to remove the cross feed screw?

IMG_3611.JPG

Can you find an exploded parts diagram for it? A careful inspection should reveal how to disassemble it but a diagram is always nice to have.

I Have the exploded parts diagram for my lathe and have read a couple of threads. The threads all reference using a spanner wrench. A Tubalcan video show the removal but his lathe had a 1 3/8 hex whereas my lathe has holes for a spanner wrench. Have no idea where to buy a spanner wrench that would fit. So looking for other alternatives.

I don't know what your lathe is but in the photo looks like you have removed the handle. I can see a hex on the end. Was that holding the handle on?Anyway screw usually removes to the rear so once the handle is off it just slide out. Not sure where these holes are but if its for a spanner just make one. Easy if it's a pin spanner,(pins in same plane as shaft), C-spanners are available off the shelf but again easy to make and a homemade one will probably be better quality. With C-spanners just making the C part and drilling for a pin usually works otherwise jigsaw and files.
Any chance you can post some more information like make and model? Bound to be someone with the same lathe who knows.

I Have the exploded parts diagram for my lathe and have read a couple of threads. The threads all reference using a spanner wrench. A Tubalcan video show the removal but his lathe had a 1 3/8 hex whereas my lathe has holes for a spanner wrench. Have no idea where to buy a spanner wrench that would fit. So looking for other alternatives.

The holes in the picture look like you need a pin wrench. You might be able to find a pin wrench at a motorcycle shop for adjusting suspensions. The one I have is hinged so it will fit a variety of sizes, something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-Mo...26&sr=8-14&keywords=motorcycle+spanner+wrench

Last edited:
If you have a strap wrench you could give that a try. I have one that I use a lot. On the smooth surface it sometimes has a problem gripping.

You can improvise a strap wrench with a stainless hose clamp. Find some tiny screws or pins that fit the holes, protruding slightly. Then fit the clamp over so the inner edge of the clamp jams against the pins, then use channelocks to loosen. Heat helps here too.
This also works on spindle left side threaded collar to remove without leaving marks (Atlas)
M

I can't help with removing the screw, but..... some wiggle on the end of the screw is not unusual. If it moves beyond 1/2" I'd be concerned. Otherwise, it's not worth the effort to remove it. Even then, if it doesn't bind while you're turning the handle, a stiff point in rotation, it isn't a problem.

Or you can measure the holes and distance between for centering , drill two holes in flat piece of steel to match and add to small bolts to be the pins . Then you have a wrench , try using snap ring pliers with 90 degree pins it should work if not to tight.

I was able to get my dial indicator on it this morning. There is 0.002 run out at the the front end and 0.020 to 0.030 run out at the far. It was hard to get a good reading at the far end because the DI would catch on the threads. If this is not unusual then I won't worry about it. There is some stiffness at times when moving the cross slide. I'll put everything back together and try to figure out the stiffness and where it occurs when I rotate the handle..

Back