Cross feed threading dial stop

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Some progress is being made on the new cross feed dial.

A threading dial stop would be nice on my old Springfield Ideal. My thought is to drill a blind hole(or maybe a large arc) in the back of the part with the marks scribed and install a spring loaded pin of some sort to make a positive lock. In doing so would allow one to back out the crossfeed and back in to a predetermined distance.
An arc would allow that I think but wondering if someone can think of a better way to accomplish this. I am thinking of putting the spring loaded pin
on the back side of the part with the single indexing mark.

I worked over the dial surfaces with 400 with wet-dry sandpaper and it did take out some of the machining marks so happy with that part.
Also I did some testing with a dial indicator and advancing the dial 10 marks gives a .005 movement on the indicator..... nice

P1020149.JPG

If I’m reading correctly? The 10ee has a nice cross slide stop. Maybe some others as well? Sorry don’t have a 10ee to give more details. Hopefully someone else can chime in…Dave

I've worked on lathes that had a threaded rod screwed into the saddle and a swing stop mounted on the cross slide. you adjusted two stop rings on the rod to supply stop and clear distance for cross slide movement. I've used a clamp on the back of the cross slide to effect a stop for threading, really helps with threading.

What you propose would work for fine threads (depending how much play there is in your cross feed nut) but would not work for coarse threads, where you need to pull out further at the end of a thread. Lathes equipped with a built in stop allow much more pull out than part of one revolution. The posting above would be much more practical. My 19" Regal lathe has a somewhat different stop, the cross slide is tapped on its front face in the center and a stop block clamps on the dovetail of the cross slide, a rod that screws into the tapped hole extends outward through the stop block and has knurled nuts that allow adjustment of the stop point. However, I am unable to use it because it was tapped at an angle to the axis of the slide, a mistake in manufacturing (war baby) the tapped hole matches the angle of the gibbed side of the cross slide.

John,

Yes, I see what you are saying. If I could devise two slipping plates with cogs, that would give me almost two revolutions
of pull out, enough for most applications. If I got into something heavy, One simply would not use it. I have a Monarch 14C
that uses something along those lines. Maybe I need to disassemble the thing and see how they did it and proceed from there.

Beyond gorgeous!!
Please show us a pic of whatever tool you used to line up the stamps.

Daryl
MN

Beyond gorgeous!!

Daryl
MN
Daryl,

I posted a fixture I used when I rebuilt the compound base on my Sheldon lathe several years back if that would be of help.
I like to see what cathead did.

Cathead,

If I'm not mistaken, your springfield has a 5-pitch cross feed screw. So basically one revolution is .200" of travel. IMO that should be plenty of retracting travel at the end of a cut to back off and get out of the thread. Now, that may not be enough if your single pointing a 4 pitch or coarser thread. :eek:

Cathead,

If I'm not mistaken, your springfield has a 5-pitch cross feed screw. So basically one revolution is .200" of travel. IMO that should be plenty of retracting travel at the end of a cut to back off and get out of the thread. Now, that may not be enough if your single pointing a 4 pitch or coarser thread. :eek:

I just made a new acme thread for the Springfield and it is 8 pitch I believe and that corresponds to the old dial so maybe they used different cross feed
threading on some or it has been replaced. It's from 1920s so who knows.
Beyond gorgeous!!

Daryl
MN

Here is a photo of the tool I used to line up the stamps......:grin:

P1020158.JPG

That's a photo of my right hand but I'm left handed so holding the camera in my sinister hand.............:grin big:

Last edited:
Back