Cross feed threading dial stop

I like the Monarch stop, but the Holbrook quick-withdraw is a lot quicker and just as repeatable (well under a thou", mine appears to be about 2 tenths) - it takes a 1/4 turn, retracts / advances the cross-slide through 3/8" by a double (left and right-hand) threaded collar between feed screw housing and handwheel (the widely-hatched 5701 below):

Holbrook Quick-withdrawal.png
The double-threaded 5701 is rotated by the lever 7133, rotating out of housing 5697 and also rotating feedscrew carrier 1215 out of 5701 - the dowel pin 4377 holds everything in alignment, and it can be locked up by a pair of collets should you not need the quick-withdrawal (or set to your choice of friction).

N.B. - not my work, no CAD package was harmed in the preparation of this picture...

Dave H. (the other one)

Beyond gorgeous!!
Please show us a pic of whatever tool you used to line up the stamps.

Daryl
MN

Daryl,

Thanks for the compliment. Although the numbering looks pretty good, it wasn't perfect. My method was to
practice on a piece of wood to get the spacing correct and to make sure the numbers were being held straight.
One thing you can't do is put two numbers together and imprint. The numbers would be too far apart. That is
why I practiced as I went along. Also, I held the ring in the mill vise very securely with some wood under
it as a cushion so the only variable left was the positioning of the number. A black marker is handy to make
a mark at the center of where you want the number and slightly below it. That way you have placement.
After placement, be to be parallel with the ring. Then give it a solid rap with a two pound+ hammer. Be sure
to rotate the ring so that you hammer straight down each time. Test each number stamp on the piece of wood
to be sure the number is oriented correctly just before imprinting. That is very important as you only get one chance
at each number( at least in my case because the number set I was using had no orientation marks on them, some do).
I liked Mark Frazier's post about making the jig for stamping numbers. He spent a lot of time planning out the
jig and machining it, beautiful!:encourage: If I were to do a lot of numbering, I would have considered building one
but for one dial was more than I could justify. It turned out pretty nice, good enough for its intended use on the old "Springfield Ideal"
lathe.

Back