Cross Slide Binding

I don't either. It was perhaps just a coincidence, or the binding was always there but I would think I'd notice that.

If the carriage lock causes the crosslide to bind I'd say that's probably due to distortion. Unfortunately, with import machines, you can't always trust that the scraping and fitting is 100% (although for the most part it's decent).
Even a small area around the lock screw that lacks proper contact could skew the saddle a bit when the screw is tightened, and it doesn't take much to interfere with the action of the crosslide.
Assuming your carriage lock is simply a screw that pulls a block against the underside of the bed like most imports (including mine) I'd say it's worth replacing both locks, the designs are a bit lackluster.

I think most would agree that you should not have these problems with a new lathe, so first you should probably determine the exact cause, and act thereafter.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

There is a 12mm screw that tightens the clamp. There's also an 8 x 35mm grub screw that screws into the plate. I had it backed out as I wasn't sure what it was for. What I discovered today was you have to screw the grub screw up into the bottom on the carriage, this keep the plate nice and straight so when you tighten it down it clamps evenly. I no longer feel a binding in the cross slide when the carriage is locked. Not exactly sure of the mechanics going on there but it's okay now.

Back