Cross Slide Handle Falling When Turning

Got looking at the cross slide handle and loosened the set screw and turned the spanner nut/cap just a slight amount and now it has enough tension on the handle to trust bearing to hold itself in place. This adjustment did not alter the backlash or gib clearance at all. The manual does not say anything about this so hopefully this will fix this annoying problem and not cause any other problems in the future.

Some ideas.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/can-i-lock-the-cross-slide-or-compound.25989/#post-229615

I really like my front lock it's not technically locking the dovetail but it works well. My gib lock on the opposite side is covered by a dro scale.
I use it locked or with a small amount of drag on it. If locked and the handle falls it makes no difference. Even if it just has some drag on it and the handle falls it usually doesn't change the setting.
I have taken apart and adjusted the split nut and that is great for a little while and then it's back to the same old looseness.

I originally drilled holes next to the handle to lighten that side. then i was going to build a new handle out of some Ti that I have and build a Ti bolt for it also. But never did that after building the front lock.

I like your idea of weighting the opposite side. I think that is a better thought than changing to a balanced handle.

I generally lock my cross slide when turning.

To make it easier, I replaced the allen headed locking screw with some handles from McMaster. They are only about $5 each.

IMG_1295_zpsmoo1gzmg.jpg

Back