Cross slide nut no good.....PM1440GS

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I thought I had stripped one of the cross slide nuts. However upon closer look while it appears that is what happened, I still have to wonder what the heck was going on.

1. First the socket head cap screw that tightened it down had threads that were 23mm long. Huh? Looking closer at the cap screw you can see where it had been ground and shaped on the end because the nut hole is offset to sides. It is 1mm closer on one edge than the other edge. The other nut had a difference of about 0.3mm. When I looked down the hole and tried to put a new cap screw in, just no way no matter how many times I tried it. The old cap screw would always go in but it would just start to tighten but then just spin.

2. So, I will take some steel over to the mill and make new ones that are closely held ( remember I am the apprentice to the apprentice).

Here are some photos......the side that stripped out had something going on to begin with....cap screw wrong length, cap screw with a lead in to get started into hole. The Chinese always think in terms of good enough....they were able to ship it and I was able to adjust it 6 or 7 times.....good enough! You can see in the first photo that the hole is offset, normally not a problem except this fits in a grove land functions like a t nut.....GRRRRRRR

GROAN! I feel your aggravation. On the bright side look at all experience you are gaining. LOL
It won’t be long and you’ll be the lead apprentice

Cross slide nuts as in, they are stationary in the cross slide and the screw goes through them? It's not a handle retaining screw?
If the actual cross slide nuts, I was picturing something more robust for a 14x40. Usually a large hunk or two (if adjustable) of brass.

These are the two t nuts that enable the cross slide to rotate. Loosen them up and rotate the cross slide as necessary then tighten them up and smart making chips......

GROAN! I feel your aggravation. On the bright side look at all experience you are gaining. LOL
It won’t be long and you’ll be the lead apprentice
That will be a while.....my boss apprentice says I might be better with a broom!

Sounds to me like you're talking about the *compound here, not the cross slide. Should clear up the confusion.

Number 8 in the photo below. The bill of material calls out a nut or bolt and the bolt on the BOM says see item 8......ha!

Sounds to me like you're talking about the *compound here, not the cross slide. Should clear up the confusion.
And that is why I am an apprentice to the apprentice!

Back