Cross Slide on Warco GH1330 Lathe

With all of your help above I think I've now sussed it!

I believe that it was a combination of factors at play here. The housing (607V2 in the parts diagram in my first post) was sitting too low which I believe was causing the lead screw to bind. I think this could still do with some adjustment as it doesn't appear to be able to move up enough. Alternatively a spacer under the lead screw nut may have a similar effect.

In addition to the above I also loosened off the gib a touch and now the handwheel turns freely and smoothly (possibly a little too freely - I keep overshooting the mark on the DRO!). Still not sure what the rubbing noise is that I'm getting - I think I will save that investigation for another day but for now the lathe is a pleasure to use again! It was becoming a real pain - especially when i am parting because it reduced the feel through the handwheel so I was less able to guage the pressure on the cutting tip (1mm carbide cutting tips break very easily if you're not careful!).

Once again thank you to everyone above for your suggestions - If it wasn't for the words of wisdom I'd probably be posting a thread in the shop blunders section on how not to machine the housing!

Sam

Hopefully you solved it. I'm late to your post but another thing that I noticed on my 14x40 is the cross slide 'lock' (if you want to call it that) is basically a set screw that imparts force on the gib strip. When I installed my DRO it gave me valuable insight that the simple act of tightening was capable of moving the cross slide position just a tad via the torqueing action of the set screw. Not good. I fixed this my making a brass intermediary shoe that had the dovetail angle flat on the gib side & a half cup on the other side which was now driven my a new set screw with a bearing ball end. Now the screw pivots effortlessly in the brass part & the 'lock' occurs by pure perpendicular clamping force on the gib strip.

Anyways, blah-blah, that solved my issue. But what I noticed prior to the mod is I had these little arc shaped bite holes in the gib where the screw was basically chewing into it & a raised burr. I knew it was raised because when I stoned the surface smooth I could see small hints of shiny metal. Because of the close spacing in the dovetail, it doesn't take much for some scuffing to go on.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but while troubleshooting a problem I've been having with my DRO on the machine I think I have finally sussed the problem and thought I should feed back and again say thank you to all those who have offered help.

So it turns out that the dust seals underneath my DRO were damaged. What was happening was that as the reader moved along the scale it would intermittently snag on the damaged areas of the seal. I have the scale off of the machine at the moment while I try and source a spare seal but that's proving to be another issue all together!

Back