Cross Slide Stop for threading on my 13" South Bend?

Hello,
I am struggling to return the cross slide back to the zero point in order to feed the compound in for another pass when threading.
I have a single gear box (1941) 13" South Bend. It has the small dials with some backlash like all lathes.
If I could dial back the cross slide to clear the threads, move the saddle back to the starting point then move in the cross slide to a positive point each and every time, then I could feed the compound with confidence.
I am looking for the locking device, guide, stop or whatever will perform the intended cross slide location.
Thank you for your help and I apologize for my ignorance, I don't have very much experience.
Jeff

Hi Janderso,

A terrible admission from me ! I've tried a number of times to grind threading tool bits, without a great deal of success. I can get the tip angles right but don't seem to be able to get the clearances right. I got so wound up about it and a friend loaned me his carbide insert threading tool. I've not looked back.

Baron, You use quality threading inserts, the carbide I used was the brazed on 60 degree wedge.
It did not work well for my set-up.
See the pic.
On the left is my home made tool, worked very well,IMG_0118[1].JPG
to the right- cheap Chinese tool.

Hi Janderso,

I've mainly used HSS lathe tools, the only carbide I've had any real experience with has been those threading inserts.
I do have some brazed carbide tools that I acquired a long long time ago, they are in a box somewhere...
I've never used them !

Back