Crosswind practice

I learned to fly RC when I was about 13 or so. Started taking flying lessons at age 16 and earned my pilots license right after my 17th birthday. I found that there was an excellent transfer of knowledge from RC to full size. I soloed in 7 hours, which I don't think I could have done without my RC background.

My dad was a private pilot and home builder, he sold the Mustang II he built when my parents divorced in 1973. Hard to think what might have been....

Some guys just have the touch, I guess. Good for you, 7milesup!

I flew sailplanes for 40 years, and did a large amount of local and cross country flying in mountain wave conditions in the Sierra Nevada and other mountain ranges, where we used those systems to go at very high cross country speeds at very high altitudes. It requires plenty of study and practice to work up to safely flying in conditions that can rapidly change to extreme. Multiple times I have landed in high winds and have seen the windsocks doing full circle rotations and up and down gyrations while standing straight out from the pole. It is a very good thing that winds stop descending at ground level. I remember a few times coming to a stop after landing and having to pry my fingers off the stick... ;-) Never broke anything doing it, however. The joy of climbing through 25,000 feet at 2000 fpm in glass smooth air in a quiet aircraft with hundred mile views is addicting. Cross country flying in those conditions is also highly rewarding, the most fun you can have with your clothes on. It can also be highly dangerous, and the dangers are often invisible, and so must be expected and predicted to stay safe.

Don't know if you guys know of the Perlan project, where some of my old friends have taken a sailplane to 76,000 feet, higher than the U2 and right up there with the SR-71. They are now aiming for higher than that.

Here is some pretty dry but highly interesting information that studying will help pilots fly more safely in those conditions.

Also, Klaus Ohlmann, who has accomplished incredible flights in wave

Me too Flyinfool!! I am currently the President of the Rice Lake Model Airplane club. Lost my medical too (and my career). Really miss flying the jets.

I was the pres of the RAMS (Rainbow Aero Modelers Society) for 9 years and also did time as pres of SWARM (Southeast Wisconsin Rotory Modelers) a helicopter club.
Now I am just a member of both clubs.

7 hours to solo is pretty impressive. As is the progress in radio controlled models. I've heard that the drone rules have impacted RC aviation. True?

I learned to fly in the early 80's. I stopped flying 22 years ago. 32 hours into my instrument rating. Mountain flying checkout complete. HP checkout was completed. I was working on my tailwheel endorsement and eyeing a complex checkout and maybe a multi-rating (light twins... idk). Divorce is costly in a lot of ways, especially when you get custody of 4 kids (wouldn't trade that for anything though).

Two years ago I decided to get my medical and BFR and get back in the air. I spent a year trying to find an instructor so I could get my BFR out of the way. I found one down in PKV. At the time that was 2 hours from my house. I flew with him 4 hours and the next flight was going to be a short cross country / sign off flight.

Before that could happen I got transferred to FMN (a year ago). The instructor here had multiple students approaching signoff. It took almost a year to get 7 hours with him and 11 hours (total) to get signed off. The last 4 hours were done in 3 back to back days otherwise I might still be working on my BFR.

The switch from steady gulf coast winds to landing on a mesa top in winds that are literally 180 degrees different from one end of the runway to another changed the game a little. High density altitude is normal. It's been fun. I sincerely mean that.

The goal is to get my own C182 (or C172) and finish my instrument rating. The C182 part is going to be tough. There are no cheap C172's or C182's. The C210 spar AD is pushing those guys to sell and nobody wants to take that on, so the C182 is pretty popular. The C206 is awesome but $$$. The adult in the room (sometimes I hate that guy) says I have to consider that I'm 61, not far from retirement, and who knows how long I can keep my medical. Do I really want to invest in an airplane (it's not really an investment)?

It's a 15 hour drive (950 miles one way) to go home from here. In a C172 it's 8 hours not counting weather delays or extra pstops. I've flight planned it a couple of times a month for 2 years :). There's one fuel stop, maybe two if nature calls or the winds are being... windy (more than one hour fuel reserve onboard when I land though), I know the route well. Winter up here could cause a no-go (to or from) but winters are pretty mild. Spring is when it gets dangerous. A Cirrus went down up on the mesa last spring, south of the NAPI (mesa south of the airport), in the Bisti Badlands. The weather that day was horrendous. Snow showers curling back into the low cloud deck, high winds.. not fit for man or beast. A VFR pilot flew into that. No chute. No recovery of the pilot. There are thunderstorms scattered across the route home beginning around ROW (possible first fuel stop). MAF usually has a line of thunderstorms in the area. SJT is where they start to dissipate (and the flight planned fuel stop). Those would probably cause a deviation or landing and checking into a hotel. Obviously this is a generalized viewpoint of the weather based on two years of looking at it.

N7688X is a 148 hp 1960 C172 with Johnson bar flaps (that I've come to love) with an instrument panel that isn't standard (not diggin that at all. The instrument training is still a very strong instinct.) She ain't fast, she could stand for some aileron trim adjustment, the panel drives me nuts sometimes, and there is no engine driven vacuum system so the DG and attitude indicator are a tad sluggish. But I can fly :)

Here's what I call the third landing of my second first solo
Short Final Runway 7 KFMN
p3517146319-5.jpg

N7688 Xray panel
No RNAV or ILS approaches will be shot from here :D This is not in flight btw. Note the VSI. The altimeter setting is off (should read a hair over 5,500)
p3517145619-4.jpg

Prettier view. The tach is just behind the left side of the yoke :)

p3522414523-4.jpg

I flew sailplanes for 40 years, and did a large amount of local and cross country flying in mountain wave conditions in the Sierra Nevada and other mountain ranges, where we used those systems to go at very high cross country speeds at very high altitudes. It requires plenty of study and practice to work up to safely flying in conditions that can rapidly change to extreme. Multiple times I have landed in high winds and have seen the windsocks doing full circle rotations and up and down gyrations while standing straight out from the pole. It is a very good thing that winds stop descending at ground level. I remember a few times coming to a stop after landing and having to pry my fingers off the stick... ;-) Never broke anything doing it, however. The joy of climbing through 25,000 feet at 2000 fpm in glass smooth air in a quiet aircraft with hundred mile views is addicting. Cross country flying in those conditions is also highly rewarding, the most fun you can have with your clothes on. It can also be highly dangerous, and the dangers are often invisible, and so must be expected and predicted to stay safe.

Don't know if you guys know of the Perlan project, where some of my old friends have taken a sailplane to 76,000 feet, higher than the U2 and right up there with the SR-71. They are now aiming for higher than that.

Here is some pretty dry but highly interesting information that studying will help pilots fly more safely in those conditions.

Also, Klaus Ohlmann, who has accomplished incredible flights in wave

Sailplanes... another wanna-fly for me. Moriarity is about 3 hours south of me by car and I believe that is the closest place to take lessons.

Did they ever declassify the SR-71's stats?

Here at FMN the winds descend until you cross the edge of the mesa, then they just do whatever they feel like doing. I've heard that a few people have landed a little short (I don't like to use the C word) due to a downdraft.

These are stills from a video that I didn't take. The Pastor of the First Baptist Church in Shreveport, LA. took it with the church TV camera :p He had connections at the AFB and his son-in-law worked at the plant that I managed and heard this was coming in. They landed and parked way out in a corner of the base. The video was shot from a long way off. There is a part where they zoom all the way out and you can barely tell what is out there. I have a copy of the video (somewhere). The time between the last two frames and out of site was very short. The SR-71 is my all time favorite aircraft.

p326274095-4.jpg

p72726762-4.jpg

p202260720-4.jpg

Back