Crotch center

So these are used for cross drilling a hole in a shaft? I like the idea that you are automatically centered. Faster than indicating the mill.
Robert

Considering the safety aspect, I would use a v-block and a mill or drill press every time and would not even consider using a crotch center. Even if you have a way to clamp the work to the center, there is still the risk of the drill pulling the whole thing loose from the Morse taper in the tailstock. When that happens you suddenly have things spinning about in rapid fashion that are not meant to do so. The time required to set up in the drill press or mill would be no more than in the lathe, except for locating the center, which takes only a minute or two. An inexpensive investment in one's own safety.

When someone has a mill it's easy to forget that all the pieces to the mill has roots in the lathe, and everything that can be done on the mill can be done on the lathe but not vice versa. With that said; I have a mill so I probably wouldn't have the need or desire to purchase a crotch center. I can see ways to improve on the design in regards to clamping a part.

I'm also thinking that if that thing spins you could ruin your tailstock taper in a second.
R

I'm also thinking that if that thing spins you could ruin your tailstock taper in a second.
R
Yes, and longer work can crash into the bed ways, carriage, or cross slide, and perhaps your hands at the same time... If you want to use a crotch center, and they can be used, the first question to ask is "What could possibly go wrong?" and think about that for a while, and then mitigate any potential hazards to you, the machine, and the tooling. You might decide it is not worth the risk to use some setups, and to improve others.

R
This is true but it also applies to every tapered tool you put in the tailstock. The force applied isn't different if you put a tapered drill bit in the tailstock. A simple modification to the tool would be to attach a bar that drops between the ways. I'm more concerned about what's fixed in the crotch and how it's clamped in place.

Back