Crown stag Bowie

7mag

Active User
Registered
Found some pics of a Bowie I made several years ago. Forged 5160 spring steel, stainless fittings, sambar stag handle.
Thanks for taking a look

CS BOWIE1.jpg CR BOWIE3.jpg CR BOWIE2.jpg

Found some pics of a Bowie I made several years ago. Forged 5160 spring steel, stainless fittings, sambar stag handle.
Thanks for taking a look

How do you guys grind the blades, especially near the handle to get the 90 deg bevel where the sharp edge stops and get it so accurate?

How do you guys grind the blades, especially near the handle to get the 90 deg bevel where the sharp edge stops and get it so accurate?

I grind my blades on a belt grinder I made when I first started making knives. It uses 2"x72" belts. After forging the blade to a rough shape, I grind it overall as flat as I can and scribe two lines in the center on what will be the edge. I then use a new 60 grit belt and grind the blade true, heat treat and finish grind. I hold the blade by hand to the flat platten on the grinder and carefully grind to thin down the blade. I usually finish grind with a new 400 grit belt and then hand sand the blade. Most of my folders are ground on my round contact wheel which will give a hollow grind.

I grind my blades on a belt grinder I made when I first started making knives. It uses 2"x72" belts. After forging the blade to a rough shape, I grind it overall as flat as I can and scribe two lines in the center on what will be the edge. I then use a new 60 grit belt and grind the blade true, heat treat and finish grind. I hold the blade by hand to the flat platten on the grinder and carefully grind to thin down the blade. I usually finish grind with a new 400 grit belt and then hand sand the blade. Most of my folders are ground on my round contact wheel which will give a hollow grind.

Amazing.. :man: Hands on skills excite me......lol

I just ordered one of Dwayne's DVD's preparing......:))

Very neat,accurate work. A very nicely shaped blade,too. It sounds like you might have a Wilton Square Wheel grinder like I have. At least,they both use 2" X 72" belts. I grind my knives freehand,too.

Back