Cub Cadet 100 project

Tamper84

Active User
Registered
I figured I would show you all that I actually work on stuff rather then just talk about it. :lmao: This is my grandpas cub 100. He has had it 31 years and before him my great-grandpa had it. My grandpa got tired of working on it so he "gave" it to me. He doesn't know he is getting it back :shush: His 79th birthday is coming up so I hope to have it done by then.

So the story is, when he got it my great-grandpa blew a chunk out of the cylinder wall so my grandpa put a new short block in it. It was in 81 if I read correctly. Then in 99 gamps (that's what I call him) had it rebuilt again, new rings, valve job, governor etc. Yup I have all of the paper work on it since it has been in my family!!

Flash forward to last year. It started having an erratic throttle, and he parked it. Some people told him it was the governor and some said it was the carb. He used as is, had to use the choke to control the throttle. So this year he was mowing when a bearing went out on the mower deck. So he is fed up with it and I brought it home on Friday :)

Yesterday I fixed the throttling problem, the linkage was loose on the throttle shaft. Today I adjusted the governor and she now runs great! Just got to fix the deck and paint and she's done!! So here is two pictures one of what she looks like now, and one of me and gamps on the cub back in the day lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot the second picture lol. Here is it.

Chris

image.jpg image.jpg

Very, very cool. A lot of people would throw it away just because it's not the latest thing. Course, these days machines are made with that in mind any way... :dunno:

Chris,

What a nice surprise for your Gamps! I'm sure he'll get a big kick out of it. Thanks for sharing the story.

Steve

We'll be looking forward to seeing some photos when you have it all done!

Thanks guys. I'm not going to be throwing this away!!! They don't make good stuff like this any more!!

Here is some more progress. The first picture is where the bearing/shaft screwed up and ate away at the deck. Second picture is all welded up. And the third is all ground down. Now it's time to order parts and decals.

Thanks,
Chris

- - - Updated - - -

It some now got in reverse order :dunno:

heres another picture. It's the front plate, Gamps just primered over the sticker lol. I am going to fill those holes. Great-grandpa put headlights there

Thanks,
Chris

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Neat project, lots of old cub stuff all over the net, including everything you'd need to make it look exactly like new. A sign shop can make you a new chrome/black striped sticker for the headlight panel, and headlights are still around if you want to go that way. Now would be a good time to resurface the clutch disc, and take a look at the release bearing.

The Cub Cadet was designed and built back in the heyday of US machinery manufacturing, and built to last. While it isn't a zero turn, it is every bit as good as modern mowers with the added benefit of DURABILITY. ( I own several but will admit the used Ferris ZT I just bought is going to be my main mower with 6 acres to mow. ) It is easy with a CC to spend more on a restoration than one could sell it for but still, if you use it , it is worth it. Good on ya for keeping the family heirlooms alive.

Neat project, lots of old cub stuff all over the net, including everything you'd need to make it look exactly like new. A sign shop can make you a new chrome/black striped sticker for the headlight panel, and headlights are still around if you want to go that way. Now would be a good time to resurface the clutch disc, and take a look at the release bearing.

The Cub Cadet was designed and built back in the heyday of US machinery manufacturing, and built to last. While it isn't a zero turn, it is every bit as good as modern mowers with the added benefit of DURABILITY. ( I own several but will admit the used Ferris ZT I just bought is going to be my main mower with 6 acres to mow. ) It is easy with a CC to spend more on a restoration than one could sell it for but still, if you use it , it is worth it. Good on ya for keeping the family heirlooms alive.

One of my uncles was a cost engineer for IH in Louisville. Ky. He told me the very first Cub was belt driven (drive line). He didn't know why they changed to a shaft drive. He went on to tell me they used a Cub tractor rear end and made shorter axles for it. They made a drill jig and used a radial drill press to drill out the holes the rear axles were bolted to. He said the little tractor was a big hit that caused the company to retool their production line with automated equiptment. I had a used 100 until it fell apart. A tough little lawn tractor I used to mow waist high weeds with.

She is a tough old bird. Thinking back on it now, I learned how to drive on this lol :lmao: I found a complete decal set, including the headlight panel from Binder Books. Do you guys know of a good site to order the deck parts from?

For the drive shaft/belt drive. That is one reason why he kept it so long. He doesn't want a hydrostatic trans, or a belt drive. He like the drive shaft and the geared transmission. You put it in 3rd, she will run!!!

The clutch has been redone I "think" 5 years ago. Will have to look again and see. I like that all of the records have been kept, makes it real easy to see whats been done and what hasnt been!!

Thanks,
Chris

She is a tough old bird. Thinking back on it now, I learned how to drive on this lol :lmao: I found a complete decal set, including the headlight panel from Binder Books. Do you guys know of a good site to order the deck parts from?

For the drive shaft/belt drive. That is one reason why he kept it so long. He doesn't want a hydrostatic trans, or a belt drive. He like the drive shaft and the geared transmission. You put it in 3rd, she will run!!!

The clutch has been redone I "think" 5 years ago. Will have to look again and see. I like that all of the records have been kept, makes it real easy to see whats been done and what hasnt been!!

Thanks,
Chris

Ray Weaver in Stevens Pa sells used parts. Good guy to deal with and fair prices.

phone 7 one 7 - 587 - 37 two 7. Located at Stevens PA 17578

Jeff
every day mowers are a 1968 cub cadet 125 and a 1966 cub cadet 122

One of my uncles was a cost engineer for IH in Louisville. Ky. He told me the very first Cub was belt driven (drive line). He didn't know why they changed to a shaft drive. He went on to tell me they used a Cub tractor rear end and made shorter axles for it. They made a drill jig and used a radial drill press to drill out the holes the rear axles were bolted to. He said the little tractor was a big hit that caused the company to retool their production line with automated equiptment. I had a used 100 until it fell apart. A tough little lawn tractor I used to mow waist high weeds with.

The Original CC was as you say built from a Farmall Cub rear axle housing...there was still a driveshaft but the engine drove it with a belt off the flywheel. That same basic rear end was used up until the mid 70's....Eventually MTD took over the CC line and it went a long ways downhill from there. Tractor pullers are using CC rear ends in all sorts of modified pullers, even ones with green hoods are Cub Cadet underneath. I have seen a V6 engine powering one of them, yes, they are way overbuilt.

As far as parts sources, if you join a Cub Cadet Forum like Only Cub Cadets, you will find a bunch of places still sell factory parts. You can even purchase some parts from your local IH dealers, but the online sources are usually less expensive. It is easy to go overboard, and spend way too much so decide what your budget is going to be and how mice you want the tractor to be before you start buying stuff. Also the paint that Tractor Supply sells is not the correct color for the older cubs so you might want to have someone mix up the right colors.

Back