Cubify Design - Cheap CAD for 3D printers

JayNC

Registered
Registered
I use Cubify Design for my 3D drawing needs. It's made by 3D Systems for their "Cube" line of 3D printers. The printers are junk (had one) but the CAD system costs $49.99 and I absolutely love it.

I can use Solidworks and Inventor at work..and while very powerful..are also a lot harder to learn and use than Cubify Design.

What is everyone else using?

Cheers

Jay

I have Alibre (now Geomagic). It works well, and there is an intro package that is not horribly expensive. There are also pluggins for Blender and Sketchup, but I found both of those tools rather complicated to learn and use.

Jay, you must have Cubify Invent because Cubify Design (which I have) is $200.00. Anyway I use Cubify Design also and I like it a lot. It has a few issues (bugs) but it's pretty solid. It's the first 3D CAD software I've ever used and I thought it was pretty easy to learn. I'm still no expert but I've made (and printed) lots of simple parts. Cubify now owns Geomagic also but it is a much more expensive product (several thousand dollars I think). Cubify Design is a subset or older scaled down version of Geomagic design, not sure. I've also tried FreeCAD which is free, and a very capable product but still very early in it's development and still very buggy, and IMHO not as intuitive or easy to use as Cubify Design. The professional tools like SolidWorks are insanely expensive, entirely out of the reach for most hobbyists.

John

Back