• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Cup wheel on standard bench grinder

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ryno85

Swarf
Registered Member
I've been considering getting the Grizzly clone of the Baldor 500 but I'm having a hard time justifying paying $400 (shipped) for a Chinese grinder that I just don't think I'll get that much use out of. Has anyone made a plate that the type 50 cup wheels bolt onto and mounted that on a standard bench grinder? Is this a terrible idea? Obviously it would need to run perfectly true but I wouldn't necessarily trust that the import model would out of the box anyway. I would have to fabricate a new guard and some kind of table, but isn't making more tools what this hobby is really about anyway?

Groundhog

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
You might want to watch Keith Fenner's experience with a similar grinder (I don't know if it it is anywhere near the same as what you are looking at) before you buy that grinder. I think there are 3 or 4 videos. This is a link to the first.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
i recently sold a very used 6" toolgrinder that i got at a flea market very used.
it was a central machinery - a HF inexpensive tool grinder.
i was impressed how solid the grinder was for being what i thought may be inferior.
even with chewed up wheels, the grinder was very smooth and took almost 1 minute to spin down after the power was cut off
there was nothing ever done to the grinder , it had the stock green wheels when i sold it.
your results may vary

as far as putting a cup wheel on your bench grinder- go for it
you may need to do some arbor work, but it may be just fine
mount the wheel up and put an indicator on it and spin by hand-
if your runout is very small- put power to it an see who she runs! :grin:
i think the Toolgrinder runs a couple hundred RPM faster than a bench grinder, but that shouldn't matter much

Silverbullet

I too have watched a couple different owners on YouTube upgrade there HF grinders , most if not all run out comes from there wheels and the spacer .. just what Keith's doing on the video. Yes I also have the same grinder I too will. Ck the run out and get better wheels.

Eddyde

Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I have that Grizzly grinder, sure it's not a Baldor but it works well enough. It runs pretty smooth. You should be able to modify it without too much trouble. I got the Grizzly at an auction for $100 so I have no regrets, for $400 you might be abel to snag a used Baldor or other tool grinder better suited to your needs.

ryno85

Swarf
Registered Member
I watched Keith's videos and it confirmed exactly what I was afraid of. That's a lot of work to put into a brand new tool. Grizzly seems to have raised their prices for 2018 too. For now I've ordered a 5" straight cup wheel for about $25 and will try to adapt it to my bench grinder. I'll also keep an eye on Craigslist for a good deal on a Baldor or similar. I'll update with the outcome, but it's pretty cold in my garage right now so not sure how soon I'll get it done :(

T. J.

I've been considering getting the Grizzly clone of the Baldor 500 but I'm having a hard time justifying paying $400 (shipped) for a Chinese grinder that I just don't think I'll get that much use out of. Has anyone made a plate that the type 50 cup wheels bolt onto and mounted that on a standard bench grinder? Is this a terrible idea? Obviously it would need to run perfectly true but I wouldn't necessarily trust that the import model would out of the box anyway. I would have to fabricate a new guard and some kind of table, but isn't making more tools what this hobby is really about anyway?
Harold Hall's book "Tool & Cutter Sharpening" describes exactly that - fitting cup wheels to a standard bench grinder. It also has plans for building a table and accessories. I just got a copy yesterday, so I haven't read all the way through it yet, but I'm contemplating building one.

pstemari

Hall's complete course of milling book has plans for a somewhat more sophisticated version of the table. Seperate x and y tilt adjustments instead of the ball and socket joint.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

[6]
[5] [7]