Cup wheel on standard bench grinder

ryno85

Registered
Registered
I've been considering getting the Grizzly clone of the Baldor 500 but I'm having a hard time justifying paying $400 (shipped) for a Chinese grinder that I just don't think I'll get that much use out of. Has anyone made a plate that the type 50 cup wheels bolt onto and mounted that on a standard bench grinder? Is this a terrible idea? Obviously it would need to run perfectly true but I wouldn't necessarily trust that the import model would out of the box anyway. I would have to fabricate a new guard and some kind of table, but isn't making more tools what this hobby is really about anyway?

You might want to watch Keith Fenner's experience with a similar grinder (I don't know if it it is anywhere near the same as what you are looking at) before you buy that grinder. I think there are 3 or 4 videos. This is a link to the first.

i recently sold a very used 6" toolgrinder that i got at a flea market very used.
it was a central machinery - a HF inexpensive tool grinder.
i was impressed how solid the grinder was for being what i thought may be inferior.
even with chewed up wheels, the grinder was very smooth and took almost 1 minute to spin down after the power was cut off
there was nothing ever done to the grinder , it had the stock green wheels when i sold it.
your results may vary

as far as putting a cup wheel on your bench grinder- go for it
you may need to do some arbor work, but it may be just fine
mount the wheel up and put an indicator on it and spin by hand-
if your runout is very small- put power to it an see who she runs! :grin:
i think the Toolgrinder runs a couple hundred RPM faster than a bench grinder, but that shouldn't matter much

I too have watched a couple different owners on YouTube upgrade there HF grinders , most if not all run out comes from there wheels and the spacer .. just what Keith's doing on the video. Yes I also have the same grinder I too will. Ck the run out and get better wheels.

I have that Grizzly grinder, sure it's not a Baldor but it works well enough. It runs pretty smooth. You should be able to modify it without too much trouble. I got the Grizzly at an auction for $100 so I have no regrets, for $400 you might be abel to snag a used Baldor or other tool grinder better suited to your needs.

I watched Keith's videos and it confirmed exactly what I was afraid of. That's a lot of work to put into a brand new tool. Grizzly seems to have raised their prices for 2018 too. For now I've ordered a 5" straight cup wheel for about $25 and will try to adapt it to my bench grinder. I'll also keep an eye on Craigslist for a good deal on a Baldor or similar. I'll update with the outcome, but it's pretty cold in my garage right now so not sure how soon I'll get it done :(

I've been considering getting the Grizzly clone of the Baldor 500 but I'm having a hard time justifying paying $400 (shipped) for a Chinese grinder that I just don't think I'll get that much use out of. Has anyone made a plate that the type 50 cup wheels bolt onto and mounted that on a standard bench grinder? Is this a terrible idea? Obviously it would need to run perfectly true but I wouldn't necessarily trust that the import model would out of the box anyway. I would have to fabricate a new guard and some kind of table, but isn't making more tools what this hobby is really about anyway?

Harold Hall's book "Tool & Cutter Sharpening" describes exactly that - fitting cup wheels to a standard bench grinder. It also has plans for building a table and accessories. I just got a copy yesterday, so I haven't read all the way through it yet, but I'm contemplating building one.

Hall's complete course of milling book has plans for a somewhat more sophisticated version of the table. Seperate x and y tilt adjustments instead of the ball and socket joint.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back