Curious Gasket On SB9a Underdrive Cabinet Model

That gasket doesn't seal anything....it's for vibration dampening. It keeps the chip pan from rattling.

Hi Guys,

Is it one of those heavy self adhesive tar things, like the damping pads used inside vehicle door panels then ?

That gasket doesn't seal anything....it's for vibration dampening. It keeps the chip pan from rattling.

Ok, not for sealing then....vibration damping, I guess that makes sense. Anyone know what this gasket was made of, so I might try to find a modern substitute? I assume it's impossible to buy these OEM now.

edit: if for vibration reduction it would presumably need to go between the headstock side leg and the cabinet?

Last edited:
I am curious as to material as well. I've been trying to think of what they would have abbreviated to "vel." -- and about the only thing I come up with is "vellum". Would that make any sense at all? Essentially a paper-thin barrier against chips and oils, although I think vellum is a bit more durable than regular paper.

Atlas machines had what they referred to as "fibre" washers and gaskets which were quite thin. I've used a modern impregnated fiber gasket material as a substitute and it seems to work ok. It's only about 0.025" thick. Wonder if it was something similar for the SB gasket in question?

-frank

We're talking 1940's technology......it's just a paper gasket about .040-.050" thick, much like you would find on a '57 Chevy water pump. I replaced the ones on mine with 1/8" neoprene rubber. It made a big difference in noise. It goes between the leg and the chip pan or cabinet.

Back