Curly Maple Live Edge Shelf

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
Although i'm less than a proficient woodworker,
i made stride today to remove some of the fear and distrust of cellulose based materials !

I was graciously gifted some beautiful slabs of rough sawn curly maple from member and friend @ACHiPo !(Thanks again!!!)

the slabs vary in size ,but, all are over 6' long by about 20" or better in width.
they are truly 2" thick and have been waiting to have their inner beauty exposed
they came like this... live edges on 2 sides

IMG_4858.jpg

i chose a section on one plank that was smaller in width ,to about 14"
i cut the section out with a 7-1/4" skillsaw
the underused commodity in my arsenal, the joiner , was utilized to plane one side to 95% flat-
this flat will ultimately be a mounting surface
the wood is rough cut, i took the manly way and broke out a scrub plane- to get a lesson in humility
after making very shallow cuts, i was able to switch to a block plane to get a bit closer
ultimately, this led to the use of a 3x21 belt sander with 80 and 120 grit papers to smooth the form
i quickly hit the upper and lower surfaces with 220 grit on a palm sander

here is the progress, the blank as semi-finished

IMG_4855.jpgIMG_4854.jpg

i decided a radical approach to mounting, no mounting hardware will be seen- not to the wall or to the shelf

i chose 3/8" Rebar as the dowel material, to attach the shelf to a wall furring
i laid out the dimensions using the metric system on both the furring strip of 2x3 Fir, as well as the shelf
i made a simple guide block to ensure 90° holes and punched the laid out the holes in the furring strip
i prepared for deep drilling in the maple to accept most of the spike- the drilling went well and the spikes were right on the mark
i finished the shelf with a coat of olive oil
then, rubbed the crap out of it with cedar shavings until it glowed !

installation:
i screwed the leveled furring strip to 3 studs with 3" #10 construction screws
to my surprise it installed without event
everything lined up!!!!
a few moderate taps with a mallet set the shelf against the furring strip
due to the friction, i didn't deem anything else was necessary to retain the unsupported shelf unit (although a pocket screw could easily be added)
i'll inspect the shelf for irregularities as time passes, but i think it's quite solid

without further delay here is the finished and operational shelf for the lavatory

top view:

IMG_4856.jpg

bottom view:

IMG_4857.jpg

the pictures didn't really do this piece justice, it looks waaaay better without the camera lens

the maple dimensions are 29" long x 13+/-" wide x 1-7/8" thick

as always thanks for looking!

Although i'm less than a proficient woodworker,
i made stride today to remove some of the fear and distrust of cellulose based materials !

I was graciously gifted some beautiful slabs of rough sawn curly maple from member and friend @ACHiPo !(Thanks again!!!)

the slabs vary in size ,but, all are over 6' long by about 20" or better in width.
they are truly 2" thick and have been waiting to have their inner beauty exposed
they came like this... live edges on 2 sides

View attachment 385435

i chose a section on one plank that was smaller in width ,to about 14"
i cut the section out with a 7-1/4" skillsaw
the underused commodity in my arsenal, the joiner , was utilized to plane one side to 95% flat-
this flat will ultimately be a mounting surface
the wood is rough cut, i took the manly way and broke out a scrub plane- to get a lesson in humility
after making very shallow cuts, i was able to switch to a block plane to get a bit closer
ultimately, this led to the use of a 3x21 belt sander with 80 and 120 grit papers to smooth the form
i quickly hit the upper and lower surfaces with 220 grit on a palm sander

here is the progress, the blank as semi-finished

View attachment 385441View attachment 385440

i decided a radical approach to mounting, no mounting hardware will be seen- not to the wall or to the shelf

i chose 3/8" Rebar as the dowel material, to attach the shelf to a wall furring
i laid out the dimensions using the metric system on both the furring strip of 2x3 Fir, as well as the shelf
i made a simple guide block to ensure 90° holes and punched the laid out the holes in the furring strip
i prepared for deep drilling in the maple to accept most of the spike- the drilling went well and the spikes were right on the mark
i finished the shelf with a coat of olive oil
then, rubbed the crap out of it with cedar shavings until it glowed !

installation:
i screwed the leveled furring strip to 3 studs with 3" #10 construction screws
to my surprise it installed without event
everything lined up!!!!
a few moderate taps with a mallet set the shelf against the furring strip
due to the friction, i didn't deem anything else was necessary to retain the unsupported shelf unit (although a pocket screw could easily be added)
i'll inspect the shelf for irregularities as time passes, but i think it's quite solid

without further delay here is the finished and operational shelf for the lavatory

top view:

View attachment 385442

bottom view:

View attachment 385443

the pictures didn't really do this piece justice, it looks waaaay better without the camera lens

the maple dimensions are 29" long x 13+/-" wide x 1-7/8" thick

as always thanks for looking!
Mike,
That turned out beautiful! Nicely done! Oh, and I can see its beauty is reserved for displaying your most precious commodity! (4 rolls?! what a show off!):cheer:
Evan

Nice looking. I worry that the olive oil might go rancid over time. I hate bringing bad news..
And then again, I am not sure. I have avoided using it because many of the vegetable based oils do go rancid.
I have heard that nut based oils do not go rancid.

So it looks great, but it might have issues long term. Sorry. I hope not.

That's beautiful...!

I have spent MANY hours applying hand rubbed oil finishes on high end shotgun stocks... I always used tung oil... mostly walnut, but I have done some curly maple, as well as a couple of laminated rifle stocks.

You will never get a camera to do any justice to this... it's just not possible!

-Bear

That's beautiful...!

I have spent MANY hours applying hand rubbed oil finishes on high end shotgun stocks... I always used tung oil... mostly walnut, but I have done some curly maple, as well as a couple of laminated rifle stocks.

You will never get a camera to do any justice to this... it's just not possible!

-Bear
Bear, do you use air dried Walnut? Or do you get lumber yard Walnut?

Bear, do you use air dried Walnut? Or do you get lumber yard Walnut?

Neither... I was mostly refinishing older stocks... many were originally coated with a clear spray-on finish... maybe polyurethane? Others were originally oil finished and were in need of a refinishing.

The laminated rifle stocks were Boyd's unfinished stocks.

I had one rifle stock (Winchester Model 70 .270) that a P.O. had painted in the ugliest Krylon camo... I stripped 9 coats of paint and applied the tung oil. It was so ugly, it was marked $125.00 at the local gun shop... and nobody wanted it. I refinished it and sold it at a pretty nice profit... it turned out very nice!

I mostly worked on Beretta 682/686s, Browning 525's, etc... I quit doing it because of the time involved. I refinished a Winchester SX1 stock for a friend that I put over 100 hours into... it was purty!

-Bear

Back