Current Requirements for a 935TS and 1340GT

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hey all,

Finally making progress on getting the new garage wired up for my machines. It's been a loooong 6 months.

Anyway, I originally wanted to run one 10gauge 30A circuit for both machines, like I had in my CO garage, but for whatever reason we had a brain glitch and ran separate runs to each receptacle. I don't have the extra amperage in my sub-panel for another 30A breaker, so I am thinking of putting a 20A breaker on each machine.

Reading the motors on the machines shows 8.8A on the mill, 6.6 on the lathe. Both are run via VFD. I would think 20A should suffice?

TIA

Hi Bill, happy to hear you're getting things back together.

I'm not quite sure what gauge wire you used to wire the machines, but putting a 20 amp on each machine should be fine. On the other hand, the total amperage of the breakers, added together, in the panel can exceed the available power. The breakers protect the wiring downstream of the individual breakers. The breaker feeding your sub-panel protects the wiring to the sub-panel.

If you are running off a sub panel, the breaker in the main panel feeding the sub panel will determine the total load possible, what is the rating on that breaker?

Even if it's only 40 Amps you can still run (2) 30 amp breakers off the sub panel, you can't draw more than 40 Amps total without the main breaker tripping.

Guess it depends on if you have 30 amp breakers already or you still need to purchase them and then a 20 Amp breaker should be OK and less expensive.

David.

Bill, what kind of panel do you have, there are alot of companies thin breakers tp add circuits to panels without extra room? They also sell load centers for hot tubs. For about 30 bucks. You can take a 60 amp from your main panel. Out to a sub panel that splits into 2 30 amp circuits for about 45 dollars total.
Its good to see you posting again. I was just telling my dad while working this weekend, "I gotta check in and see how Bill is doing"

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The breaker feeding the sub-panel is 80A, and we ran 10-3 (4 wire) for the 240v circuits.

I have two 30A breakers, but can take them back. :)

Ge, square d siemens etc? Id just getba small hot tub load center and piggy back off it.

Its a small breaker box usually they install for hot tubs with room for between 2-4 circuits depending on the model or 1-2 circuits in a 2 pole 220v configuration
Basically you mount it right next to your existing sub panel. Put your mill and lathe runs into it, then wire it up into your existing panel.

OR. you buy a couple of single pole double sided breakers and consolidate a few of your single pole circuits into those to gain room for adding the second 30amp 2pole breaker.

With #10 wire, the 30 amp breakers would be fine.

Back