Curved Knurling

WayneP

Registered
Registered
I posted this question on another thread, may not have been the right place so ... does anyone know how to do curved knurling like this? photo (1).JPG

Never done it, nor seen it done...

A straight knurl somehow attached to a ball/radius turner? If you started on the parallel/cylindrical section, it would probably track the initial knurl if you slowly advanced around the curve - would be quite a force on the ball turner though, knurling's hard work!

What springs to mind is where a ball/radius turner uses e.g. an inserted tool carried in a holder, a new holder with a slot in the end and a knurl wheel carried on a hardened pin through the "fork" so the middle of the knurl teeth is square to a line through the turner's pivot and the pivot is aligned with the centre of the radius you want to knurl - a tricky setup... But probably how I'd do it if I really had to!

Dave H. (the other one)

Hi Chipper..wow..the guy made his own knurl for the job. I'm tempted to use Wreck tm Wreck's advise and buy a knurl...although somehow I get the feeling it'll cost a bunch. Thanks for the information.

Just think the knurling looks great , I bet it locks up and loosens well. Total cost $300. Try getting that back on a few parts.
No I'm not knocking his great job I'm just saying Joe public ain't gonna pay. That's why plastic has taken over on jobs like that.

For a pair of knurls?!
The time it took for him to make the tools to make the knurling tool. It's all time I'm saying not just the knurling . I don't know what the company charges per knurling tool , but I do know the time it takes to make them. Time is money you work to make money don't you. How many hours do you think it took to design , do the cutting , hardening , recutting with time setting up , then more heat treating . All time and I only took $50. Per hr as the start . Most shops need $200. Per hr. Do the math .

You find them on depth adjusters of Stanley planes.
You lot may be aware there are a lot of people who collect old woodworking tools and planes in particular (and pay thousands of dollars for some rare stuff)
I think there is a Chinese version of the knurling wheel available reasonably priced. (I like making stuff to make stuff sometimes)

Back