Custom Bicycle

Just had a quick think, I see where you could have 'foot clearance' problems with 'conventional styling but a simpler way would be to mount 'front' chain on left side and have jackshaft roughly where front of rack is behind seat tube. Cross shaft out far enough to clear tyre. Deraillure would need re-locating to accomodate new drive chain angle though. Maybe something to think of for the next one? (pretty sure that once you've built one special, you will build another?) :cool:

I'm not sure I am following? Can you elaborate? Since your foot needs to clear the jackshaft and the jackshaft needs to clear the tire I can't see any way to do this and maintain conventional bike lenght? Or do you mean to move the jackshaft up vertically on the bike?
Thanks for your interest!
Robert

Yep, triangulate the chain line. You can use different sprockets each end of jackshaft to maintain heel clearance and set overall gear ratio. I'm always interested in something 'different'. I ave a few old BMX frames laying around, makes me want to build something but I already have way too many projects started (The re-phased' Yamaha XS'800' has been shelved for too long, plus a bunch of other stuff waiting for time or money, or both)

Last edited:
Interesting idea. Not sure about the clearance at thigh level. That Yamaha would make a nice Cafe Racer.

1508291608467.png
R

Motor covers sandblasted and ready for paint:

1508291724711.png

R

XS250 or 400 in pic? (I used to work at various dealers in 80's) Nice motor, still have a cylinder head for 400 in garage (did a 520 conversion on one)
I've been 'playing' with CB360's last several years ('invented' the 378cc conversion and oil system mods to make them 'reliable') Collected a few XS650's, they are a lot heavier to work on but run pretty good when done, intended to have a 'tracker', cafe and 'mostly' stock (friends say I have 'too many' hobbies)
As a jackshaft would only be for power translation, you could use smaller sprockets (dismantle an old freewheel ) I don't remember where or when I read it but sprockets in the 19~21 t range are best for power transmission although larger sizes are more efficient (something to do with the chain link 'bends')

I just realized I never put up a final pic. Here she is with totally finished after many successful rides. The range so far exceeds 20 miles.

41120774441_b15939a7c9_h.jpg

Robert

That bike so deserves a huge fat front tire.
I am sorry I did not reply. Yes! I am considering building a bike with the same fat wheels on the front and rear. It would look something like the Tron bike. The only thing holding me back is the weight. It would be a monster at probably 140 lbs? Probably would not stop well.

In recent news- I am rebuilding the cafe racer on a frame and fork that accepts disc brakes. Here is a pic of the new fork. I can post some more pics when I finish.

1643243623652.png
That was an ugly Rox Shox Judy fork with gold anodized tubes and stickers on the lowers. I stripped it all and now it looks great!

Back