Custom Bicycle

These bicycle people really have their engineering down pat.

https://www.brompton.com

I love mine. The bike is the fastest of the stationary bike category. :)

But nobody is perfect, they don't spell 'tire' properly.

You will never gain acceptance in the main stream bicycling crowd doing something outside the accepted norms. Less weight is always going to be the issue for them. They will never understand someone building something "custom" or "cool". They do not understand the ratrod concept, nor the need to build something to be creative. For them it needs to be 11lbs. 50 -100 lbs is far beyond what they are comfortable with and understand.

Now on the other hand, I make bicycles that resemble motor bikes, there are a few custom Harley shops only a few blocks from me... try explaing to a hard core Harley guy the frame you are bending up with the Springer forks, single swing arm rear axle, tall handle bars, bobber seat position, will not have a motor, and will be peddled around vbg, lol

I have many more

Rich

Btw, this is a nice thread, you brought a nice perspective to the custom bike design and approach. Kudos for that!

Thank you Rich. The thing that really distressed me was the concept that only aluminum is "alloy"! Let's just throw away the dictionary and wing it!
It took a while but I got the bracket for the caliper in the right place and mounted the brakes.

34985184122_a9223ac44c_h.jpg

I know, the welds are not that pretty. The welding was hard with the thin wall tubing and difficulty in positioning the large bulky frame. The brake works great though.
It has a trunk also (boot for the international audience)
35125118086_e6aa031627_b.jpg

Ready for disassembly and paint! I will post some final pics after that.
Robert

Last edited:
Nice tank, did you make that?
Bike is looking good! What watt motor did you go with? 1500, 1000, 750???
How many batteries?

Rich

I cannot take credit for the tank/frame. It was only $120 out of China. I can't even source the material for that price! I will be making a battery box in the same style. I went with a 48 volt 1000 watt system. The battery is 10 AH. I took it on a little test drive, hence the duct tape and bungee. It is too fast!
Robert

Had to make the bottom bracket to fit the 2" hole in the frame. I am making my own spindle like the FTB:

bb1.jpg bb2.jpg

The bearings are ceramic. I will silver solder or weld on the taper ends.

Robert

IMG_20170819_221236

IMG_20170819_221236

Back