Custom bike rear derailleur hanger CNC in aluminium (one off, initially)

MrJof

Registered
Registered
Hi all.

I'm looking for someone to machine a derailleur hanger for a custom bike build. Not a super heavily loaded component so a common 6000 series is fine. Image attached gives a rough guide of geometry. I can supply the model in a variety of formats along with more detailed specs on tolerances (once I've figured out how to use Fusion 360 as I'm an ex SolidWorks guy!). I've not thought too much about tolerances but +/- 0.1 everywhere is fine I suspect except the fine M10. I'm happy to work you to improve ease of manufacture to match your tools, time etc.

This is a one-off for my own bike but I can imagine there being an appetite for maybe 10-50 more as people have been watching my builds on social media for a while, so could be a nice side-hustle. No guarantees though is this is a ridiculously esoteric build so best to price assuming one-off.

Probably an extreme ask but a black finish (anodised or chemical) would be ideal but likely I'll just spray paint it as it's an area that should receive little wear once installed.

I'm based in UK but since the part's so small I can (likely) pay for shipping from anywhere in the world if you're up for it.

Thanks again. This forum's been a life-changer and every time I come here it makes me want to get back into machining :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 08.56.54.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 08.56.54.png
    156 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Hi all.

I'm looking for someone to machine a derailleur hanger for a custom bike build. Not a super heavily loaded component so a common 6000 series is fine. Image attached gives a rough guide of geometry. I can supply the model in a variety of formats along with more detailed specs on tolerances (once I've figured out how to use Fusion 360 as I'm an ex SolidWorks guy!). I've not thought too much about tolerances but +/- 0.1 everywhere is fine I suspect except the fine M10. I'm happy to work you to improve ease of manufacture to match your tools, time etc.

This is a one-off for my own bike but I can imagine there being an appetite for maybe 10-50 more as people have been watching my builds on social media for a while, so could be a nice side-hustle. No guarantees though is this is a ridiculously esoteric build so best to price assuming one-off.

Probably an extreme ask but a black finish (anodised or chemical) would be ideal but likely I'll just spray paint it as it's an area that should receive little wear once installed.

I'm based in UK but since the part's so small I can (likely) pay for shipping from anywhere in the world if you're up for it.

Thanks again. This forum's been a life-changer and every time I come here it makes me want to get back into machining :)

projects like this are why I've wanted a small cnc mill for years.

projects like this are why I've wanted a small cnc mill for years.
So true. And every time I think "I'll outsource it" until eventually I've done that so many times I could have bought one. Sucks not to have access to a workshop any more :( Maybe when I retire.

I can't offer much help in getting it machined but thought you might like to know that Solidedge has a free "community edition" that you might find a bit easier to work with rather than Fusion360.
I'm from a similar background having worked with SW & SE etc. and I used Fusion360 for some time myself but have transitioned to the free SE version and much prefer it. It's not quite solidworks but the workflow is much more similar to it.

I can't offer much help in getting it machined but thought you might like to know that Solidedge has a free "community edition" that you might find a bit easier to work with rather than Fusion360.
I'm from a similar background having worked with SW & SE etc. and I used Fusion360 for some time myself but have transitioned to the free SE version and much prefer it. It's not quite solidworks but the workflow is much more similar to it.
I had no idea! Thank you. Also it looks like SolidWorks has a cloud solution similar to Fusion360 that's cheap https://discover.solidworks.com/3dexperience-solidworks-makers

Have you tried xometry.com? Or similar services? I have not, but I've seen enough ads. Upload and get a quote.

The only issue I see is the sharp corner detail on the small flat surface near the 10mm hole. That would require a secondary machining operation because of re-fixturing the part. Unless you can tolerate a radius in that corner instead.

The only issue I see is the sharp corner detail on the small flat surface near the 10mm hole. That would require a secondary machining operation because of re-fixturing the part. Unless you can tolerate a radius in that corner instead.
Good spot. That was just a rough draft (for FDM) and there's a R1 max on it now.
Xometry is a good call but it's expensive and a pain outside USA

Back