Custom Bullet Mold

I guess the question to ask is "How do they shoot?"

On the second cavity of the mold the bullets cast at .361". For traditional lubing this would be fine as they are pushed through a .358 sizing die for final sizing. Being my first stab at using powder coating as a lube medium I found that it added .003" to the diameter. This is a little too much for the sizing process and was removing some of the powder coat.

I decided to go ahead and cut my second mold to a size allowing for the powder coat. I did pick up a set of pin gauges so I found the largest pin that would fit the bore of the over size mold and then cut the other mold to .004" less using the smaller pin as a reference.

Here is the second mold block with both cavities cut.

20180804_172420.png

The bullets out of this mold cast at .357" and with powder coat finish at .360" which worked perfect for sizing.

Here is a small batch of completed bullets with gas checks ready for testing. I will do load testing this Wednesday. I'm hopeful the powder coating will work out. If so then I will be able to use the bullet feeder on my progressive reloading press and no more concerns with handling raw lead or sticky lube.

20180805_120546.png

First tests are promising. They shoot a little different than lubed bullets and seem to like a higher velocity. With the powder I use, between 13 and 14 grains has been the sweet spot with other bullets of this weight so I did my test loads within that range. This bullet started to come alive at the max load I had done which was 14 grains.

This is at 100 meters. Rossi M92 w/24" barrel resting on a front bag, peep sight with front post. About as good as I can do with my eyesight these days.

20180808_212924.png

I probably couldn't see the plate at 100 meters. Good Shooting. Nice clean holes, too.

Outstanding machining and outstanding results at the range! What powder are you using, Jay?

Back