Custom Clamp-Stainless and Brass

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am in the process of making this clamp. It is specifically designed to clamp round stock to flat stock for welding. It is modeled after the "Kant Twist" clamps. I figured I would go all out using stainless and brass. I made the red brass from scratch.

1539919779137.png

1539919799825.png

I will also post some prints for anyone who wants to try this.

1539919943821.png

1539919959443.png

1539919975217.png

Robert

When you say you made the red brass from scratch are you saying you mixed the metals and cast it into bar-stock?

Yes- Its 85,5,5,5 made from electrical bus bars. It may have some Tellurium in it but it machines great!

1539920397845.png

1539920365306.png

In fairness, I would recommend sticking with C360 but I love the color of true red brass.

Robert

Last edited:
"]I will also post some prints for anyone who wants to try this.[/QUOTE]

I am interested in the plans !!

You got a nice setup going there and I find it Awesome pouring your own Stock! Ive casted aluminum and have been wanting to try brass but have yet to try.....anyway, Thanks for sharing.

I have been very disappointed with the way my cast aluminum machines. It really needs to be de-gased and heat treated to get it right. The brass seems to work much better. It is a little hard to control zinc losses so the composition is always a little sketchy. Pb and Sn are no problem. I think this batch is within specs for 85,5,5,5 and it has no porosity.

I used a Super Salamander crucible A6. I believe it came from Budget Casting Supply. There are some on Amazon too.
Robert

Last edited:
Could you tell me where you picked up the crucible? Cost? Type you use and size please? Ive only ever used steel pipe as a crucible and would like to pick up a proper one soon but get overwhelmed with all the options and i would really Appreciate your input if you wouldn't mind!

Thanks.

Prints Attached
Pretty simple really. The first print is made to be printed on an 8.5 x 11" piece of Avery label paper. Then you may rough cut the patterns with some excess and affix them to the stainless sheet in an orientation that minimizes waste. Then proceed to carefully cut them on the bandsaw. I then finished the edges on the belt grinder.
Note- when drilling the holes it is critical to have the sides aligned and clamped together so that all the holes are perfectly aligned between the halves.
Also, you will need 3 of the spacers shown in the print (.750) and another shorter one. Mine is .590 long but that will depend on the thickness of your sides. I used .080 304 stainless and that seems to work very well.
Robert

Correct file now uploaded
R

Attachments

• Clamp parts, spacers v2.pdf
    166.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Clamp screw head v1.pdf
    182.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Clamp screw shaft v1.pdf
    180.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Clamp, jaw face Drawing v1.pdf
    172.2 KB · Views: 6