[How do I?] Cut A Blind Hexagonal Hole

There are also shops that do blind hole broaching. One I used to use was Westco Broach in El Monte Ca. They do blind broaching all day long.
jimsehr

It's probably too late for the OP, but here's the source I had forgotten.
Maybe it will help someone else that stumbles across this thread.

I just found the old paper catalog under a pile in the shop.
It was "Reid Supply" now it's "Essentra".

Sleeves with hex thru holes:
http://us.essentracomponents.com/en...e-tool-sleeves/machine-tool-sleeves-hex-holed

The old paper catalog shows more than that web page; sizes (over 22 sizes both mild steel and hardened) and prices.

-brino

Instead of a traditional Allen socket, consider a Torx socket. You can drill holes for the six points and mill a central clearance hole. While it won't be the correct profile and will too not be up to the full torque load of a proper Torx socket, You should be able to apply a significant torque. The drawing shown is for a T45 socket which may be small for your application but Torx wrenches are available to T60 and beyond.
Torx Socket.JPG

......of course if your only driving it clockwise, simply drill and tap a hole and use a socket-head cap screw
Without knowing the base part, I'm thinking brazing the screw for reverse rotation.

No issues here.
I had totally forgotten about this thread and the source for hex sleeves and the existence of allan nuts.

Apparently I need to be reminded.

Brian

I recently used the cut-off socket from a SHCS for an internal hex, pressed into a piece of stainless:
462ab80d484f6d1e6dc973c8c41e9639.jpg

It's probably too late for the OP, but here's the source I had forgotten.
Maybe it will help someone else that stumbles across this thread.

I just found the old paper catalog under a pile in the shop.
It was "Reid Supply" now it's "Essentra".

Sleeves with hex thru holes:
http://us.essentracomponents.com/en...e-tool-sleeves/machine-tool-sleeves-hex-holed

The old paper catalog shows more than that web page; sizes (over 22 sizes both mild steel and hardened) and prices.

-brino
Keith Fenner uses these sleeve for his boring bars McMaster Carr has them but I cant remember the name of them

Back