Cut first barrel threads

Thank you for all the great replies ! Been busy at work haven’t messed with anything yet. When I attempt it I’ll share pictures

In response to the 16in barrel law; basically any firearm designed to be a rifle must have a 16in or more barrel. If I was originally designed as a pistol then you can put whatever barrel. So that’s my concern shortening under 16in technically makes that rifle classified as a “pistol” to our 3 letter friends.

It still blows my mind how far they were off with this barrel. Must of been Monday morning after drinking all weekend for that ruger gunsmith LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I don’t understand is the 16” barrel length? Guess it’s something in your legislation ?
In the US, any rifle with a barrel length of less than 16" is defined as a short barreled rifle (SBR), unless it's short enough to
be a pistol, which cannot have a stock that can be shouldered.

These laws are of particular concern to AR builders due to the wide range of barrel lengths available.

In the US, any rifle with a barrel length of less than 16" is defined as a short barreled rifle (SBR), unless it's short enough to
be a pistol, which cannot have a stock that can be shouldered.

These laws are of particular concern to AR builders due to the wide range of barrel lengths available.

Their justification of it is hilarious …

“Concern about concealment for illegal purposes has encouraged regulations specifying minimum barrel lengths and overall lengths.”

Have they never seen a bull pup rifle ? Much shorter then an AR. Then if you want to have a short barrel just classify it as a pistol ..

Regulating pointless things does not stop crimes from being committed LOL. Sorry for the rant

Regulating pointless things does not stop crimes from being committed LOL.

I agree with you. But, just as a reminder on this forum political discussions are completely banned.

When threading for suppressor use, I indicate off of a well fitted bore rod that extends from the muzzle about an inch and a half. Let's me see real quick if the outside is concentric to the bore.

For fixing the issue now, there are a couple of options and a lot depends on what type of suppressor mount you use.

If it is a direct thread then the barrel can be shortened, threaded, and an extension permanently affixed. Then the extension is threaded to accept the suppressor.

If your suppressor uses a qd mount, cut the bad threads off, properly indicate off the bore, and rethread. Permanently affix the suppressor mount to the barrel and away you go.

In either case the extension/mount must be affixed in accordance with ATF requirements. "Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F+) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Otherwise you are now in possession of an unregistered SBR...

Joat

When threading for suppressor use, I indicate off of a well fitted bore rod that extends from the muzzle about an inch and a half. Let's me see real quick if the outside is concentric to the bore.

For fixing the issue now, there are a couple of options and a lot depends on what type of suppressor mount you use.

If it is a direct thread then the barrel can be shortened, threaded, and an extension permanently affixed. Then the extension is threaded to accept the suppressor.

If your suppressor uses a qd mount, cut the bad threads off, properly indicate off the bore, and rethread. Permanently affix the suppressor mount to the barrel and away you go.

In either case the extension/mount must be affixed in accordance with ATF requirements. "Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F+) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Otherwise you are now in possession of an unregistered SBR...

Joat

That can uses a QD, and they are hard to come by as the company went out of business. I only have 4 I think.

I do have a direct thread one inbound though, so permanent extension is the route I’ll go. I did just get a tig rig so maybe I’ll put it to use

If you are going to work on weapons, please know the laws. The ATF has no mercy.

If designed to be fired from the shoulder it is a rifle, barrel length 16" min. Once a rifle always a rifle, can't be changed to a pistol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back