Cut my very first chips, inevitably, I now have questions...

does the top slide move easily past this point where it becomes difficult if you are not turning?
This could indicate a tight spot on the gibbs.
When you adjusted the gibbs were the dovetails fully in contact their full length or was there an overhang at one end?
This could indicate the adjuster is tightened a tad too much at that end producing the tight spot.

A magnifying glass can be helpful in this situation. When the cutter becomes hard to move, stop the lathe and examine the relationship between the cutter and center nub. That will tell you exactly what's going on.

So, I took your advice, and sure enough, I was above the centerline. I adjusted down, and now I can make facing cuts just fine. I'm still running too slow, but I'll get that belt moved and see how good I can get my finish. Thanks!

So, I took your advice, and sure enough, I was above the centerline. I adjusted down, and now I can make facing cuts just fine. I'm still running too slow, but I'll get that belt moved and see how good I can get my finish. Thanks!
Good to see that you are making progress with your lathe. The lathe is my favorite machine tool! Keep all of this advice in mind when you try your hand at parting. I like my gibbs adjusted so that there is a little bit of effort to move the cross slide and compound, this will pay off in finishes and consistently.
If you have more questions, keep asking! That's what this place is all about!

Back