Cute Little Shaper

That's an interesting setup. A lot of the hand shapers that were made are traveling head shapers, but it looks like that ones shaper portion is removable. I wonder if that had different things that could attach to the vise, like a drill press or something. Also, I think I'd put a kink in that bar and operate it over the top of the ram so I can stand in front of the shaper and run it (that's how every other hand shaper I have seen is set up). Also, Gary Martin at Martin Model and Pattern sells a casting kit for a shaper about that size, if you really want one. Of course, you have to build it before you can use it.

Looks like an ingenious fellow could make an attachment for his Bench Vise and have another tool!

Very cute and a perfect example of simple but effective!

It even has an automatic feed mechanism. If it was motorized it would feed itself along the workpiece. Pretty good.

It even looks like the feed rate might be adjustable? Not sure about that. Close up of the auto feed begins at 0:49

It even has an automatic feed mechanism. If it was motorized it would feed itself along the workpiece. Pretty good.

It even looks like the feed rate might be adjustable? Not sure about that. Close up of the auto feed begins at 0:49

A bit hard to tell from the video, but I think it's fixed feed.

Looks like changing the height of the trip rod, will change how much the feed wheel rotates, and adjusts the feed rate.

Back