Cutoff Tool

Mork

Registered
Registered
Here's a tool post I made for my Logan 200 lathe. The AXA post I have has the capacity for a 1/2" cutoff blade and I was hoping a 3/4" blade would be more rigid. The post works but really no better than the 1/2 blade on the AXA post. Does anyone have any suggestions for as to how to stop a tremendous amount of chatter? I've tried high speed and the slowest speeds. The slowest is by far the best but still not great. I also checked the bearing in my head stock... as near as I can tell I have about .001 slop in the bearing which doesn't seem excessive to me.

I suspect I'm expecting a bit to much from a small lathe. The compound is nowhere near as solid and other lathes and the 1.5" head stock probably flexes under load. Still I'm hoping somebody has a good suggestion as to how to improve the chatter I'm getting. Thanks.

WP_20160219_006.jpg

Just a guess from a newbie does the taller blade adjust properly to center ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Here's a tool post I made for my Logan 200 lathe. The AXA post I have has the capacity for a 1/2" cutoff blade and I was hoping a 3/4" blade would be more rigid. The post works but really no better than the 1/2 blade on the AXA post. Does anyone have any suggestions for as to how to stop a tremendous amount of chatter? I've tried high speed and the slowest speeds. The slowest is by far the best but still not great. I also checked the bearing in my head stock... as near as I can tell I have about .001 slop in the bearing which doesn't seem excessive to me.

I suspect I'm expecting a bit to much from a small lathe. The compound is nowhere near as solid and other lathes and the 1.5" head stock probably flexes under load. Still I'm hoping somebody has a good suggestion as to how to improve the chatter I'm getting. Thanks.

View attachment 122765

Nice job

I agree with Wreck. I struggled with parting off for years. The insert style parting tool made the difference for me - now parting is routine.

the only times I've had chatter parting on my 618 is when I've had the work unsupported a long way out of the chuck. As long as the carriage is locked, the blade perpendicular to the piece and on center, plenty of cutting oil and a "groove widening cut" on deeper cuts, it's been fine. Run slow and feed hard - you should get nice curling up chips. Also check out the P1 and P1N blades, I find that they cut very nicely.

Also, those cemented carbide bits typically need sharpening out of the box. A bit of a touch up with a diamond disk and hone would also probably make a world of difference.

Excellent feedback. Thanks!

I've never tried locking the carriage which now that I think about it makes a lot of sense. This will be the first thing I try. I'm sure the parting inserts are much better just like any insert but they are high priced. I may eventually splurge and give them a try. Thanks all for the advice. Oh and yes, the cutting edge is dead center, I've used a lot of oil and yes I broke the cemented insert off :eek:(

So far, the t shaped HSS blades have worked the best for me.

I haven't heard of a single person who's actually liked those cemented carbide parting tools, although I guess they might be useful on very hard steels. Personally I've found cemented carbide bits to be a PITA on my limber lathe; chipped or shattered 4 in a row once. Now I just keep them for really tough or abrasive stuff (cast iron) or to do some high speed facing.

I haven't heard of a single person who's actually liked those cemented carbide parting tools, although I guess they might be useful on very hard steels. Personally I've found cemented carbide bits to be a PITA on my limber lathe; chipped or shattered 4 in a row once. Now I just keep them for really tough or abrasive stuff (cast iron) or to do some high speed facing.

All carbide tooling is cemented, I believe you mean cemented carbide brazed to steel blanks, this type of tool has never worked well for me and I will not use them unless it is a dire emergency.

Back