Cutter selection and set up on lathe

Much appreciate the drawings, I think i understand. Thanks
I am just trying to understand what end is up on some of these tools I have..lol
Luckily I can go slow and will practice with no tool 1st and get used to how the machine moves and operates.
really nice set of videos by MIT, I am on number 3 but will practice doing all the stuff in #1 to start off.

Can you provide some better pics of your tools? It looks like they lack enough relief to avoid rubbing. I can't see if there is adequate rake, too. As is, those tools probably won't cut well for you.

Heres a few different angles of the HSS set of accusize tools 8pc set.
I hear good things about hss vs carbide inserts and braised carbide. So I ordered up a set of 1/2" was about 80 bucks so not a cheap set.
I picked up a set of 1/4" indexable cutters but I keep hearing use hss for 1st cuts.
let me know what you think...
Thanks

IMG_3852.JPG

IMG_3853.JPG

IMG_3854.JPG

IMG_3855.JPG

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3857.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3859.JPG

IMG_3860.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG

IMG_3866.JPG

IMG_3867.JPG

Okay, the tool in image 3853 should be okay. When facing, you want to orient it so that the point of contact is at the forward part of the side edge, up near the tip. You will need to angle the tool like the pic below:

IMG_5647.JPG

For turning, you want to orient the tool so that the shank of the tool is roughly perpendicular to the work piece.

IMG_5649.JPG

I think the side cutting edge angle on your tool will work, although I prefer a different angle myself. Give it a try and see how it works for you.

This tool in your pic. The one On the bottom 5A7F844B-BF2C-4524-BE0E-DEC305CF53A7.png
For normal turning “towards the chuck use the top one”. For facing or turning towards the tailstock use the lower. Should work well.

Good video
I will have to get a grinder going soon.
Thanks for the link

Took a few pics after I read all your replies and watched the videos.
This is what my set up looks like so far for my 1st face cut to be made soon.

IMG_3871.JPG

IMG_3872.JPG

IMG_3873.JPG

IMG_3874.JPG

Last edited:
Yes my top slide is the same so you should be able to put your compound slide mount in either hole and bolt it down. And yes that's how your tool should be oriented for facing. I'd use the tool in your first picture before that one. Just make sure either way that the tip of tool is touching work and the back of tool is a hair away so the back of tool is not dragging on work piece.

I tried putting the top slide in the other hole, lol, real funny, that disables the feed wheel for it and the holes are two very different holes.
Really wishing and wondering why they built it like this. Even an oil ball at that end but I cant use it with the nipple in the slide to key it in place, unless I drill a hole.

Any reason not to drill another hole or two? Or am I supposed to rotate the cross slide on the dove tail rails 180 degrees, to move the silly hole to the other side of center?

Back