Cutting a thin slit

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a customer that requires a .020" slit about 1.5" long in a piece of 3/8 stainless. He said the slit could be, "...a little wider."

How do I do it?

The end conditions of the slots will determine what tool to use.

If the slots require square corners and end walls and has 2 ends a slotting saw will not work.

If the slots have only one end that must be square cornered and walled you will need a very large diameter to thickness ratio saw allowing 1 1/2"+ of blade from the OD of the saw to the saw arbor diameter.

If the customer allows a radius at the end or ends wire EDM is the only thing that comes to mind, the slots may have as small as .004" radii and if a corner relief is allowed there will be 0 radii in the corners. A sinker EDM could make the sharp corners I suspect.

No one in their right mind would design such a thing without corner reliefs unless they have a large amount of money to throw at them.

Last edited:
Cover most of the saw diameter with a capped arbor. Plunge the slitting saw into the work instead of trying to mill it thru. Sounds like the customer doesn't need a precision slot.

Not a precision slot one end is open, radius is OK. It holds a spring, much like a tape.

How many parts?

You may be able to source a slotting saw of sufficient diameter at that width but is will be slow going, the largest that MSC lists is 4" diameter with a 1" arbor hole, this will not go 1 1/2" deep with the arbor in the way.

Laser or waterjet would work. Slitting saw that thin might work, but would be difficult. Wire EDM might be the easiest.

Or do it by hand with a jewelers saw.

Laser or waterjet would work. Slitting saw that thin might work, but would be difficult. Wire EDM might be the easiest.

You can imagine how long this would take (-:

I do not know but imagine that a wire EDM would do this in one pass from an edge, in and out.
No start hole or wire threading, place as many parts in the machine as will fit and walk them off in one clamping with little or no deburring.

Last edited:
If you only need to do one or two, the jewelers saw might not be a bad way to go. Sawblades are sharp and you can cut pretty quickly with a little practice. Also a scroll saw might also work well.

Back