Cutting accurate vees the simplest way with basic equipment.

Parlo

Registered
Registered
Here is a sneak peek at a slideshow for an upcoming video.
I want to share this super simple technique on Youtube but unfortunately my 3 phase is not yet connected to my workshop.
So I thought I would share it here first for your comments.
The idea is to use an endmill of unknown diameter in a collet that runs out of true and use very basic equipment - a mic and vee block.
Using CAD or trig you can determine the position of the vee to be cut in relation to a bar of a known diameter ( whatever you have ).
Use the information to set the tool to the bar in a vee block, then move the tool to the calculated position and cut.
Hope you enjoy, it is a very quick slideshow and won't win an Oscar.

Attachments

• cutting vee_0.mp4
    3.2 MB
I see and understand the math you used.

What I don't understand is why you can't just set the part at 45º and then end mill until both tops have the correct dimensions ?

It looks like an exercise to find center without using your EM (or spindle) to touch off with. A touch off isn't reliable with an unknown cutter diameter or a collet with runout. This places the part based on test cuts and a fixed stop, pretty clever if you ask me.

Thanks for posting, looks simple enough. Looking forward to your upcoming video.

I see and understand the math you used.

What I don't understand is why you can't just set the part at 45º and then end mill until both tops have the correct dimensions ?
This is what can happen without any prior calculations and hoping to finish the vee accurately.

Assuming a vee is scribed on the part and it is set in the mill at 45 degrees.
Then a vee is cut inside the lines, leaving material to be removed.
The part is removed from the vice and measured.
It is then difficult to determine how much material needs to be removed from each face of the vee, as they both affect the final pin position.
Measuring the part on the machine from the base and end is not easily possible.

A super precision method is to make the part too big - grind the vee too deep - grind the part to size using the pin as the datum.

Back